Alligator Jaw

PrehistoricFlorida

...I may insert some composite teeth into it by the time I'm done with it.

If you do, please post pic!

Great fossil; real artsy!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's an awesome alligator jaw I found last week. 21 3/4" long. It has two original teeth, I may insert some composite teeth into it by the time I'm done with it.

That is exceptional! These mandibles disarticulate so easily!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Ohh oh oho ohhhh man is that ever nice! How old is it?

Is it Pleistocene?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

the thing is huge, and cool. i'd make a necklace out of it and go hang out in clubs wearing it on friday nights. i could take it off and let people limbo under it. the important thing is that it's also apparently dead, which is good. i like finding gator pieces. i know that birds get all the credit for being old school, but to me some of the planet's lizards seem very primordialisticalicious (can i say that here?)

i definitely get the feeling that somewhere, a long, long time ago, a meeting was called of all the gators and crocs and monitor lizards and snapping turtles (threw them in for fun), where they were told, "look, we've heard you all have self esteem issues, but we're here to tell you, we like you just the way you are, so don't change a thing!"

but then again, i reserve the right to change my mind, so my thoughts regarding this may evolve over time...

Yes, it's Pleistocene. Rock solid and pretty heavy.

Wow! Harry's right, too...it is amazing that it is whole! 15 years ago, a friend had a recent alligator skull in a washtub on his porch. It was completely disarticulated. It took me a month, but I put it back together for him for his birthday. I never knew a 'gator skull had so many bones. Your find IS exceptional.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ