Rio Peurcho Jurassic And Late Cretacious Mounds

larry739

Two experienced veterans here took me to one of their favorite collecting spots and together we searched the area and came up with many fine specimens of ammonites, clams and gastropods that defined the food chain and some of the more common species. Being new to this I would have to rely on them or others for proper identification, but the ecology of the site became crystal clear to me as I implemented my survey technique.

Unfortunately my site photos were accidentally erased on my camera but I will take and post more on my future visits. The site is dominated by a gently sloped mesa capped by an upper Cretaceous shale interlaced with calcite crystals. These are contained in rusty brown clay ironstone and limestone concretions. The soil is very sandy and easy digging. Buried very shallow under it are brown to gray nodules about 30-5- cm in diameter. These are easy to split open with hammer strokes and contain large numbers of molluscs and ammonites. A 3 meter by 3 meter area was examined down to about 10cm and contained a single outcrop of shale and limestone which was broken down to 3cm pieces. Anything of significance was examined and representative samples collected to be photographed and examined for identification. Any help others can provide in identification is appreciated.

Photos follow.

post-11723-0-45659500-1367832755_thumb.jpg

post-11723-0-11329200-1367832832_thumb.jpg

Edited by larry739

Sorry Hun, the first pic is a little too fuzzy when enlarged. Could you take another clearer pic please? Other than that , nice haul!

Sorry for fuzziness of first picture, but it gives an idea of the numbers of specimens taken and the individual pictures show more detail of the important ones.