Whiskey Bridge Trip, Friday, Nov. 28

MikeD

Fellow Texans and anyone else that may be interested, I am going to Whiskey Bridge on Friday, November 28th, the day after Thanksgiving. That is, if it is not raining (a lot), freakishly cold, the river has flooded, or whatever else could shut down the trip. I will be there at 9:00ish. If anyone wants to join me, then come on.

The plan is to go to Whiskey Bridge first. Second, if the water is still low in the Little Brazos, then possibly move back up the road a bit and walk upstream to the old Bridge area and look for some more fossils. I have not been in the Little Brazos yet and wanted to get my feet wet (literally) at least once before the harsh southeast Texas winter season sets in :P . Third, move on to one of my petrified wood spots in College Station. Lunch at Rosa's will probably figure in there somewhere before the pet wood.

For those who may not know, you will find Eocene fossils at Whiskey Bridge (non-mineralized shells, shark, gar, barracuda and ray teeth, fish bones, coral, bryozoans and more).

Whiskey Bridge is located on Hwy 21 at the Brazos River, west of Bryan/College Station. There is a small parking area on the southwest corner. Walk down the hill and take the path to the left.

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&amp...mp;t=h&z=17

p.s. watch out for poison ivy.

...p.s. watch out for poison ivy.

:o

post-423-1226947710.gif

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Mike, I am going to try, only if you want throw me in, I don't swim as good as I use to.

If you can float, you will hit a bar or a rock eventually.

Hey, if JP gets thrown in, are you gonna take a pic?

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

Hey, if JP gets thrown in, are you gonna take a pic?

Of course. He'll be the one faking the dead man's float. At least I hope he's faking. Hmmm. Someone else will eventually find him.

Dang, I haven't even photographed the stuff I collected when we went there earlier this year. Beautiful shells though.

Sounds like fun Mike! But I will be sitting in the woods being very very quiet that weekend.

I hope you find some great stuff and post some pics when it's over.

B

So, when all else fails, play dead for photographers?

Yes, hope you get a big one snakekeeper. It has been a long time since we've gone deer hunting. It seems that if you live in Texas, you have to own land or know someone that does or lease land. Argh!

OK, I won't shove you in Pat. I once grabbed a friend's arm as he was tilting backwards towards an 18 foot water level there. Not a good time to fall in. I would rather see people stay dry.

Lance, I could spend 2 weeks photographing all of the stuff I have collected this year. I am way, way behind.

Good luck B. shhhhh! Be berry, berry, qwiet. I'm hunting wabbits..... or an 8 point jackalope. :P

Good luck B. shhhhh! Be berry, berry, qwiet. I'm hunting wabbits..... or an 8 point jackalope. :P

Actually I'm just a meat hunter ,but the points would be a nice kicker.LOL Kicker points "get It" :P

"Wha'choo talkin' 'bout, Willis?" I will upgrade my picture if I can get the Post Office to give me one..................

Yes, hope you get a big one snakekeeper. It has been a long time since we've gone deer hunting. It seems that if you live in Texas, you have to own land or know someone that does or lease land. Argh!

Any body can hunt goverment land, I don't know about now, it has been awhile since my husband did but the permit was 35.00. There is land not 5 miles from where we were at the other day that you could hunt on.

Momma, really? The whole reason we did not purchase a hunting liscense this year is that it went to waste last year (minus a little dove hunting with buddies that have since moved). We were under the impression that huntin was off limits here in Texas unless you knew someone or paid $900 a year for a lease. Kinda negates the point of self-reliancy when you have to pay nearly a $1000 just to kill a deer. Where exactly is it available to hunt on government land here?

JP, you sho did say "quando omni flunkus" (when all else fails) "moritati fromus photagraphorus" (play dead from photographers).

Or were you using some of that latin tracer uses?

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" (Pseudo-Latin for "When all else fails, play dead").

Signature and I did not say it, just used it. Before that it said, On my way to becoming a fossil. Which is true, if things go right.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati fromus photagraphorus"

Red Green , where is Harold and Bill ?

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Momma, really? The whole reason we did not purchase a hunting liscense this year is that it went to waste last year (minus a little dove hunting with buddies that have since moved). We were under the impression that huntin was off limits here in Texas unless you knew someone or paid $900 a year for a lease. Kinda negates the point of self-reliancy when you have to pay nearly a $1000 just to kill a deer. Where exactly is it available to hunt on government land here?

JP, you sho did say "quando omni flunkus" (when all else fails) "moritati fromus photagraphorus" (play dead from photographers).

Or were you using some of that latin tracer uses?

Yes it is true, go to any sporting goods store and get a hunting hand book. It will tell you the fee and have a list of all counties where you can hunt. There is alot of gov. land in fannin county. There is some in Grayson county, really all over the state. Just get the book free, from sprting goods. I thought you were from Texas, you should know that.

Yes, but I started hunting in Wyoming, so now i am realizing that things are done a little different around here.

Right now I hunt on two hunting licenses and a number of oil licenses around the Rio Grande Valley over the summer. This is not for animal life, I like to hunt fossil wood and other things. I have found that the owners will sale you a summer (off season)license for all most nothing, this gives you an "all to your own place to hunt and still be able to bring a guest. The deal is, that you really need to know someone that hunts there so that you have an intro.

Right now I hunt on two hunting licenses and a number of oil licenses around the Rio Grande Valley over the summer. This is not for animal life, I like to hunt fossil wood and other things. I have found that the owners will sale you a summer (off season)license for all most nothing, this gives you an "all to your own place to hunt and still be able to bring a guest. The deal is, that you really need to know someone that hunts there so that you have an intro.

Excellent strategy!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

JP

If you don't mind my asking, what price range are you talking (over 200.00? If I see a site that has the oil rig number,

you think it can be arranged that way? Is that who would give the permit?

Welcome to the forum!