Whiskey Bridge Trip, Friday, Nov. 28

MikeD

MikeD - I'm in - want to car pool?

I'll want to hit the cobble pit/retention pond after Rosa's!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Roz=If you don't mind my asking, what price range are you talking (over 200.00? If I see a site that has the oil rig number,

you think it can be arranged that way? Is that who would give the permit?

Roz

The first question about is price, most of the time is nothing but some bar-b-q in the evening and a beer. Down there in the Valley are lots of Honey Mesquites and with the Rancher doing root plowing in the winter you just pick it up. He can also count on me to be his eyes and ears while out in the field. This is for the deer lease only. Oil licenses are another matter, you have to know the rig engineer to get anywhere, they are there day and night for a long time and move all over a ranch setting up pipelines and doing lots of drilling, but if you can get to know one he can get you setup with the owner. I usually offer $50 and that's what I pay now. But, the two deer leases were easy for me, my nephew is the lease master at both, he set me up to talk to the rancher and after we talked for a while, it turned out we were related! I had married into their family, and after my wife died I am still family, very good people. Besides, any Gringo that can make the families Tortillas Soup, their not letting get away!

As far as the oil leases go, my brother in law is the company engineer and he told the ranchers that all I used to hunt with was a then long screw driver. $50 a year for one and free for the others for as long as the wells are making money.

The oil leases are the best, they bring in the biggest dozers I have ever seen and go to work. The land is up and down everywhere, the dozers flatten it level to setup the rigs. This is all done months before they even start to setup, I fine me a place to set camp and spent as long as I want going through the rubble. Also, they build roads cut drainage areas and just make life so easy you would not believe.

What I find in the Valley, fossil wood, agate, jasper, topaz, quartz, turquoise, ammonites for some reason, fossil bones (which I do not collect), giant oysters, geodes, Indian artifacts from 9000 to present, their graves (which I would never touch), and a lot of long bone and fired clay beads that I was told came from a breast plate?

Another way to meet ranchers, is to go to the place where they unwind, the local Cantena. Here you will meet ranchers, oil field workers, "drug dealers", stay away from them, just about anyone. Respect them, eat there food, drink their drink, enjoy their life, I'm here to tell you, it's the best of the best.

I hope this helps and good luck.

:)

Great set-up; you get to collect fossils and good folks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

MikeD - I'm in - want to car pool?

I'll want to hit the cobble pit/retention pond after Rosa's!

Sure. That's the plan. Maybe one other "secret" spot depending on who is interested. I'm hoping that Cris (HMNS's Whiskey Bridge expert) can make it also.

I'm in Galveston until Sunday, but I live in College Station---I just went to Whiskey Bridge Monday--collecting was great and the river was down--best find was a extinct horse's tooth and a horse pelvis which was interesting---also found tons of nice shells and a piece of vertebrae. I'm going back probably this sunday or monday--I can go anytime when I'm there, I live literally 20 minutes away lol

I'm in Galveston until Sunday, but I live in College Station---I just went to Whiskey Bridge Monday--collecting was great and the river was down--best find was a extinct horse's tooth and a horse pelvis which was interesting---also found tons of nice shells and a piece of vertebrae. I'm going back probably this sunday or monday--I can go anytime when I'm there, I live literally 20 minutes away lol

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!

"I can go anytime when I'm there, I live literally 20 minutes away lol"

well, yes, but you see all the GOOD stuff washes down the river to Sealy, where Miles is, and he picks it up.

i do kind of like that area though. huge amounts of petrified wood in the area. large numbers of aggies. much shorter driving distance to the cretaceous.

Momma, really? The whole reason we did not purchase a hunting liscense this year is that it went to waste last year (minus a little dove hunting with buddies that have since moved). We were under the impression that huntin was off limits here in Texas unless you knew someone or paid $900 a year for a lease. Kinda negates the point of self-reliancy when you have to pay nearly a $1000 just to kill a deer. Where exactly is it available to hunt on government land here?

JP, you sho did say "quando omni flunkus" (when all else fails) "moritati fromus photagraphorus" (play dead from photographers).

Or were you using some of that latin tracer uses?

You guys need to come up to Colorado where the real deer are. I hunted Gothwaite, Tx a lease there for 10 years. I got tired of a deer you could through over your shoulder. Good bass fishin though.

Heres a deer I got last year. Forest service hunting. 39 points, double drop tines, three sets of brow tines.

Enjoy!!!!

post-1026-1227797907_thumb.jpg

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

The trip is on, come hell or high water, well maybe not high water. Owen, Pat, John, catfur, and anyone else that wants to join us, see you tomorrow (Friday) at 9:00. A little rain never hurt anyone (except when they slip and fall - that will be me). Happy Thanksgiving.

...much shorter driving distance to the cretaceous.

How many millennia to the gallon do you get?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The trip is on, come hell or high water, well maybe not high water. Owen, Pat, John, catfur, and anyone else that wants to join us, see you tomorrow (Friday) at 9:00. A little rain never hurt anyone (except when they slip and fall - that will be me). Happy Thanksgiving.

Have a good trip and be sure to post pics when you get back.

How many millennia to the gallon do you get?

good question. from bryan, where they're goiing, which is eocene, it's around a hour west to the cretaceous. actually, the geological changes from the texas coastal plain going "inward" in any direction are pretty interesting, especially if you ride shotgun and look at a geological road atlas while you're driving. the difference is especially stark as it applies to looking in creeks and rivers. on the coastal plain you have to be careful everywhere because it's all silt and mud. inland is cool because you can just walk around on a lot of it because there are a lot of areas that are limestone based and clear water. the gradient between the two extremes as you search from east to west is interesting.

Just got started with my fines, good stuff but just a tad fragile cleaning is slow. My best find is a squid beak and a fragment of the same. Got some nice corals and a complete ray plate that was destroyed in the wash, didn't take it out of my pocket. I would like to go back soon had a great time with everybody.

I still have two buckets of stuff in water and will be there for about a week more.

Nice bunch of goodies; congrats on the squid beaks!

Sorry 'bout the ray plate; the Maytag should probably be reserved for the preparation of more robust fossils. :(

It's not done out of stupidity, it's just being dumb! My wife brought some shells,(no ray plate) to me and said I needed to clean my pockets before I wash. Maybe the best thing in this find was some oyster fragments that are from a very large animal. Nice, black with a good blue sheen.

Very nice stuff....congrats on beaks! I would love to find one of those someday. I almost did the same thing the last time I went hunting. I left a couple of nice gastropods in my front pocket, but luckily i noticed them as i put my clothes in the hamper. They wouldn't have survived the wash. So I'm sorry to hear about the ray plate. Post pics of the rest of your finds when they are ready. I would love to see the rest.

I collected a TON of fossils today with the new equipment I invented---the problem is, where the heck are all the shark teeth people are finding? All I've found are shells and a nice big gar scale...I know for a fact that there's no shark teeth on the slopes I've been digging because I catch everything the naked eye can see with this sifter. And what do the squid beaks look like?

I'll have to get together with everyone for a fossil hunting trip sometime soon--y'all are welcome to try out my new "dirt eater 3000" and see how you like it lol

Here is a photo of a squid beak. This one is Belosaepia ungla.

post-8-1228192406_thumb.jpg

As to shark teeth, I never found many shark teeth at that location but I don't look for shark teeth, not my cup of tea. As best I remember, and it has been a while since I collected the Brazos Eocene, the shark teeth were mostly found right at the top of the Mosely's(SP?) limestone ledge, about half way down the bluff under the bridge.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Thanks for the picture, I haven't found one of those yet, but I'm hoping to find one when I go next week. I also haven't found a cornulina armigera yet or any worms, but maybe something will turn up. I've found a couple architectonia scrobiculata and one bryozoa (fragile little sucker! he was whole when I found him <_< )--those seem to be pretty rare.

Thanks for the information---I saw that most of the fossils were in the grey-green layer about 2 yards from the top---I dug in the shale/clay layer below that (orangish) and found nothing---will the shark teeth be in a younger layer than the gray-green layer I was digging in?

Here a few pics from the trip. I found a long shark tooth which I will post later.

#1. jpbowden and JohnJ.

#2. JohnJ with a nice tooth and Oh-Man looking on.

#3. John's tooth in matrix.

#4. jpbowden, JohnJ and MikeD.

post-534-1228194355_thumb.jpg

post-534-1228194367_thumb.jpg

post-534-1228194381_thumb.jpg

post-534-1228194395_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the picture, I haven't found one of those yet, but I'm hoping to find one when I go next week. I also haven't found a cornulina armigera yet or any worms, but maybe something will turn up. I've found a couple architectonia scrobiculata and one bryozoa (fragile little sucker! he was whole when I found him <_< )--those seem to be pretty rare.

Thanks for the information---I saw that most of the fossils were in the grey-green layer about 2 yards from the top---I dug in the shale/clay layer below that (orangish) and found nothing---will the shark teeth be in a younger layer than the gray-green layer I was digging in?

There are fossils at several different depths. Look for thin lines of shell debris at the top of the green layer and other places. Dig into those.

Some people stabilize the little bryozoans with super glue before moving them.