Whiskey Bridge Trip, Friday, Nov. 28

MikeD

So, I take it no one got tossed into the water?

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

Here's a couple of neat guys I found.

Pat,

The upper photo on the left, what you have is a sclaractinian coral attachment or holdfast on a bryozoan. The bryozoan is Schizorthosecos interstitia Lea. The coral may be Gorgonoid banmiti Giammona and Stanton, but it is hard to say for sure. The upper photo on the right is probably the same coral holdfast but this one is on a fragment of a clam probably Anomia ephippoides Gabb. The lower photo appears to be some kind of coral attachment scar, maybe Balanophyllia irrorata or B. desmophyllum on a shell fragment of some kind.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Thanks JK! Now I can Google the names and know more than I did before (maybe) ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's a couple of neat guys I found.

Pat, I know some stuff you can use to clean those neat shell fragments... :faint:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Well I have a TON of stuff to wash still and not much time this week at all...I won't catch a break until friday if even that...

Anyways, I've been hitting the site nice and hard--I've gone 3 times since my last post and you can see how my collection has grown. I found an AWESOME shark tooth today--my 2nd one so far--the other one is as big as a finger nail and it's in the "to wash box" somewhere.

Enjoy:

CIMG2783.jpg

CIMG2782.jpg

CIMG2781.jpg

CIMG2785.jpg

CIMG2786.jpg

CIMG2787.jpg

Now that you've "cleaned-up", you need to clean up :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Well I have a TON of stuff to wash still and not much time this week at all...--my 2nd one so far--the other one is as big as a finger nail and it's in the "to wash box" somewhere.

CIMG2781.jpg

If you wash everthing in the container over a 1/16" mesh, then you may find some very small teeth. :D

Thanks, m-betts. I know the Maryland and Florida collectors probably yawn -_- looking at the paltry Texas, Stone City Eocene material (can't blame them), but trophies are a function of context. :D

post-420-1228368614_thumb.jpg

Who's yawning? We're drooling! Florida has only one Eocene formation at the surface (Avon Park Formation), and I don't know any other way to access it but through a quarry that is difficult to gain entry into. I've only found invert fossils in the Avon Park Form (although I've only gone there once).

Great finds and great photos! :rolleyes:

That's a nice batch of conus silverphoenix.

Hey, John, I didn't realize you had two squid beaks. Looks like you found another catfish spine also.

I still have to clean up my stuff from there, I had to unexpectedly leave town last weekend, so I haven't gotten to it yet. I did manage to score a few pieces of Permian petrified wood though.

If you wash everthing in the container over a 1/16" mesh, then you may find some very small teeth. :D

hydrogen peroxide is good for breaking up the matrix, too.

As far as the "holy grail" for this site I've heard of a couple of nautiloids coming out here, but never actually seen one.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Thanks for the comments, I'll post more pictures as I clean more of my finds. I'll try that hydrogen peroxide out---I brought back some bulk pieces from the wall I was digging so I can go through them at my convenience and I need to dissolve the matrix. I may go back again this week and get in a good dig--I've about dug out this wall entirely, well until I hit very compacted sediment that is. I just have one section I need to finish. I sure hope I don't fall again this time---it's steep as heck and hard to get to, hence why I'm the only one who digs it. I literally have to crawl up the slope carefully, then tie a rope to a tree and belay up and down the slope from it--it's dangerous business XD

Who's yawning? We're drooling! Florida has only one Eocene formation at the surface (Avon Park Formation), and I don't know any other way to access it but through a quarry that is difficult to gain entry into. I've only found invert fossils in the Avon Park Form (although I've only gone there once).

Great finds and great photos! :rolleyes:

There are several upper Eocene fossil locations listed for several Florida counties in L.D. Toulmin's publication "Stratigraphic Distribution of Paleocene and Eocene Fossils in the Eastern Gulf Coast Region", Volume 1, published by The Geological Survey of Alabama as Monograph 13, 1977. The publication is still available from the Geological Survey of Alabama. A great publication for identifying Gulf Coast Eocene invertebrates, also a great bibliography. I have never collected at any of the sites shown for Florida so I can't speak for the accuracy but it seems a good place to start looking.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Re: the hydrogen peroxide... I have never thought to use it. Do you soak it for

a certain time limit then?

Welcome to the forum!

As far as the "holy grail" for this site I've heard of a couple of nautiloids coming out here, but never actually seen one.

OK....who has a pic of the holy nautiloids from the Stone City Formation? :unsure: MikeD, since you have connections in the Eocene, maybe you can....well, maybe. A photo will help us visualize the prize! :drool:

i can say without equivocation that i have been to stone city; and i have found nautiloids.

(punctuation is so important, these days)

i can say without equivocation that i have been to stone city; and i have found nautiloids.

So what do these holey nautiloids look like, a cruller? :P

There are several upper Eocene fossil locations listed for several Florida counties in L.D. Toulmin's publication "Stratigraphic Distribution of Paleocene and Eocene Fossils in the Eastern Gulf Coast Region", Volume 1, published by The Geological Survey of Alabama as Monograph 13, 1977. The publication is still available from the Geological Survey of Alabama. A great publication for identifying Gulf Coast Eocene invertebrates, also a great bibliography. I have never collected at any of the sites shown for Florida so I can't speak for the accuracy but it seems a good place to start looking.

JKFoam

Thanks for the mention of the pub, I have heard of that one before but I haven't picked it up yet. Apparently, the Avon Park Formation is also exposed at the never completed Cross Florida Barge Canal a mile south of Inglis. This comes from the 2008 book by Bryan, Scott, and Means (Roadside Geology of Florida), which I think is a well written book. Apparently, the oldest surface rocks in the state not only include the Avon Park Formation but also include the lower member of the Ocala Group (according to the above book).

Sir, I accuse you of not being concurrent! :o

...but you may be guilty of accuracy, so please accept my analysis. :blush:

Guest solius symbiosus

Sir, you equivocate??? Never!!! ;)

I went this morning again and it was FREEZING!!!!!! and WET and I slid and fell over 4 freakin times!!! Today was a bad day to go fossil hunting and I predict it'll be this way until jan or feb unfortunately. I wore my heavy coat, thick cowhide gloves, and even a motorcycle helmet for insulation and I still almost froze with it being below freezing plus humid and all that wind being tunneled through the river plane. I did, however, find a conus shell, which I broke in the process of prying over a very large wall. I also collected a lot more microfossil dirt from some nice eocene shell bed strata there. It started snowing, so I left after about 2 hours. I finished cleaning everything and just need to start going through some dirt I brought back---will post pictures by this next week!

Also, I've heard of nautiloids being found there, but, like turtles and crabs which have also been found there, they're Extremely rare. I've moved tons of dirt and have yet to find so much as a piece.

OK....who has a pic of the holy nautiloids from the Stone City Formation? :unsure: MikeD, since you have connections in the Eocene, maybe you can....well, maybe. A photo will help us visualize the prize! :drool:

It's nice to have connections. B) Here it is. I have never seen anything like it there. I was told that fragments can be found sometimes and may be very colorful and irridescent. Fragments may also be mistaken for oyster shell. :drool:

post-534-1228994709_thumb.jpg

post-534-1228994744_thumb.jpg

Sir, you equivocate??? Never!!! ;)

yes, and i vacillate also. you should keep some syrup handy in case i begin to waffle.

s.p. - the name of the fossil game is survival first. we have to live to collect another day. slippery river banks are not exclusively a problem at stone city, and as meticulously careful as we are, tj and i have had a few dicey moments getting ourselves out of places we shouldn't have gotten in. now we carry ice axes, crampons, pitons, croutons, and several bags of that quick dry stuff that you put on wet baseball fields. we don't actually use any of the stuff, but the extra weight makes us crawl, which helps stability.

be careful, lest the ground come up from below and smite thee.

...Today was a bad day to go fossil hunting...

A bad day to go fossil hunting alone!