Dinodude101

Fossils Site In Howard County, Maryland

Dinodude101

There's not really a question or advice needed, I just wanted to let people know about a fossil site I found. It's located in a forest on brightfield road in ellicott city. The site contains mostly shells but theres other sea-life as well and the occasional petrified wood. Rock wise, it has a decent williamsite pocket. I hope you find this usefull, and if you decide to check it out, I MIGHT be there.

post-11810-0-16994500-1367865218_thumb.jpg

post-11810-0-15805600-1367865230_thumb.jpg

post-11810-0-69385600-1367865243_thumb.jpg

post-11810-0-65116000-1367865258_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dinodude101

Auspex

Here is a link to the topic about the above mentioned fossils: LINK

ballyhooligan

Where can I legally park there without getting hassled?

Astrodon

Can you describe more fully the shells, and other sea-life you found? I've collected almost all of the formations in the region extensively, including the Arundel at Muirkirk, and might be able to to help you identify what you've found. Photos would be especially useful; as several other members have noted, you can reduce the image size enough to post the photos without degrading the quality too much.

MD Fossils 101

Is it legal to collect there

EMP
On 6/21/2020 at 7:47 PM, MD Fossils 101 said:

Is it legal to collect there

It appears that it's situated in a woodlot adjacent to a housing development. Probably not the best place to go exploring. 

And I saw this point on the other thread, but I figured it'd be best to not resurrect that old thing; it appears that this site may actually be in a remnant of the Coastal Plain. The Potomac Group thins to a considerable extent near the contact with the Piedmont, and has left a variety of small pockets of either province enclosed in tiny enclaves around the other. It's very possible that this person's site is situated in one such enclave of the Coastal Plain, and by the sounds of it it could be within the Patapsco Formation, which is known to produce the bivalve Unio (the possible "seashells" that the person references to), and lignified wood (the "petrified wood" referenced by OP), or from the Arundel Formation, which underlies the Patapsco and is known to produce gastropods and bivalves as well. The Arundel also has abundant lignified wood. 

I suppose it could be from the Patuxent, but the OP's reference to shelly fauna rules that out IMO