Scaphites Of The Eagleford Group

bone2stone

I have been researching the Scaphites and yet to find a suitable site that has much to say of the Eagleford species.

I do have some information on the Trachy and the Hoplo. Neither of which is found in the Eagleford.

Now the hoplo may have a sub-species in the Dallas area, most notably in the Arcadia Park stuff, but I can not get any reliable information on any of mine.

Any suggestions?

Note: Most of the specimens would measure ~.75 " or less.

Thanks for any input and any source info would be gratifying.

Jess B.

The britton formation has multiple types of scaphites present. I have most of the in my collection. What information are you looking for?

Web site information to assist in identification.

I have only found three maybe four species.

Jess B.

I have posted about the Scaphites of the Texas Eagleford and got information that was of little help.

I am aware that the scaphites are found in the Eagleford, I have some but to say it's a scaphite is not

what I'm looking for, I know they are.

The only scaphites I have gotten any good info on is the trachy from the Sulphur River red beds plenty of info on these,

and the Dakota stuff. I have some of both.

Neither are relavent.

If anyone has something I can compare with and it does not just say "Scaphite" please allow me to view these specialty ammonoids.

Jess B.

Edited by JohnJ
topics merged for continuity

Jess:

You need to see them from my collection. Lets get together. Im in Carrollton.

In the britton formation , they are Worthoceras vermiculus and Yezoites delicatulus. I have both male and female specimens.

I have seen a large Scaphites carlilensis come out of the arcadia park formation, though I've never found one.

I know the individual that has the Scaphites, and can probably connect you up with him.

Let me know!

-Brent

Well thank you for the info, I was aware of the Worthoceras (I found one ~.5 in today) one of the best I have ever found.

The Yezoites that is the one I needed information on.

BTW: Found two of those today along with 8 Metoicoceras.

I would like to get together sometime along with several other of the members here most if not all are members of DPS.

I am not a member I could never make the meetings.

I have not been there since Bill Lowe lived around here.

Perhaps we could get together at Fossilmania. I will be there on Sat for sure early morn takin pictures for a different forum.

I am a mentor on an arrowhead forum and will do a report on the show hope to address a few questions and badger a few folks while I'm there. You probably already know me and I you we'll see.

Jessy B.

Here is a small grouping including a juvie Metoicoceras (Red stone)

And one of those Metoi look-a-likes.

Recognize any of these?

Jess B.

post-9194-0-20242700-1369126027_thumb.jpg

post-9194-0-71989500-1369126131_thumb.jpg

Edited by bone2stone

Very nice! I love the one from the arcadia park formation!

Edited by Boneman007

Brett,

None of these came from the Arcadia Park all came from the same Britton site.

Same location as the previous finds.

I have two of these from two different locations one of them came from the Calif Cross site.

I presume you are referring to the little white one on the matrix. It's slightly pink.

Are these the ones you are calling Carlilensis?

Have you taken a look at the other Metoicoceras "Jewel quality" post.

Two of those were picked by someone I have been mentoring along with several crabs and shrimp.

Found what was left of a Pacyrizodus as well as a nice piece of bone not related to the Pacy maybe a Pleis.

Jess B.

Edited by bone2stone

Those grey nodules are usually classic arcadia park. especially with the nacir still in place. The specimen with the perfect nacir is amazing! Normally britton formation nodules are ironstone and red, although I have seen a minority that are grey.

Fantastic finds tho, no matter where they came from.

Vertebrate remains are incredibly rare in the Britton. in 20 years of hunting it, I have a handful of vertebrate material.

And, as Vertman loves to tell everyone, he can find a Pachy in a kids sand box, but I have exactly 1 associated vert and jaw from a Pachy, and thats it. Xiphactinus on the other hand seem to jump in my backpack voluntarily, but Pachys are my arch nemisis!

Nacir?

I have hunted both Arcadia Park and Britton for over 30 years.

I have found three Pacys, two 20% intact, only collected the verts

and 1- 80%, it is in the basement at the Dallas Museum.

Xyphacs two partials..... horror tales on both.

I would reveal the approximate location but not here.

But I can tell you that there are both red and grey nodules there!

Jess B.

Nacir?

I have hunted both Arcadia Park and Britton for over 30 years.

I have found three Pacys, two 20% intact, only collected the verts

and 1- 80%, it is in the basement at the Dallas Museum.

Xyphacs two partials..... horror tales on both.

I would reveal the approximate location but not here.

But I can tell you that there are both red and grey nodules there!

Jess B.

I should have been more specific. I am refering to the upper Britton. The lower Britton is loaded with vertebrates, but that's not a nodule zone.

I would love to see your oner's from those formations and compare them to my oner's. I have a 3.5" scissor claw from the Britton that I cannot ID, as well as a recent crab that has never showed itself before. I am leaning towards Necrocarcinus davisi, but I have never found a Necrocarcinus of this size (1.5" carapace). Usually they are tiny.

I used to hunt all over Las Colinas and at one time had 30 or so sites for Britton. Of course they are all under concrete and sod now.

You said that you dont have any Yezoites heteromorph ammonites, though? How about the spiney ammonite Euphomoceras? I have been lucky enough to pull out a nice one with the spines partially intact a number of years ago.

Again, I would LOVE to see your Britton and Arcadia Park stuff. And I have a Xiphactinus horror story too! Those stories are good to share when youre in good company!

Edited by Boneman007

Horror story #1: Heavy Equipment meets Xiphactinus.....

Scattered that bugger all over Las Colinas Golf course before I realized what I had done.

Saw a vertebra ~2.5" roll down the embankment.

Hopped off 911 Cat and just about cried when I saw the skull scattered all around me.

One partial upper jaw teeth intact, a few scattered vertebrae and some freestone teeth.

I did a lot of dirt work there so I had first hand opportunity at what we dug up!

There sure was a lot o stuff when that place was booming.

Found over 300 of the Notopos in one morn hunt, ITT building sitting there now.

Found three shark endentured sets all small squalis.

One with some verts intact.

Next time I'll talk about telling someone about a find and a torrential rain.

And yes I have several of the Euphors...a couple with spines.

Got one stone that has two of them in it + two Metois and one of those I'm told is a Helios.

I may be wrong on that last one.

I'll post it again when I get to work, pic on work computer.

I posted it before but it's worth taking another look now that I got camera working pretty good.

Jess B.

Jess B.

Edited by bone2stone

My horror story is even worse. I found a MASSIVE X-fish skull in western Kansas. about 30% bigger than the one I have. (my icon - 2.5' X 2.5' on a 3'X3' plaster slab)

We spent three days digging a hole you could have buried a cow in, plastered it, and as we pulled it out, the entire skull fell out in a million pieces.

It was in the grey zone, so we knew it was going to be difficult, and the roots had really gotten to it, but to see it spill out all over the place was horrible.

I still have the jaws, eyes, and about 15 verts from him, but I've never touch it since I put it in the garage.

I really look forward to seeing some of your stuff. Being a fellow Britton fanatic, I love the stuff!

Edited by Boneman007

And, as Vertman loves to tell everyone, he can find a Pachy in a kids sand box, but I have exactly 1 associated vert and jaw from a Pachy, and thats it. Xiphactinus on the other hand seem to jump in my backpack voluntarily, but Pachys are my arch nemisis!

I am not sure how I missed this thread. Funny comment about the sand box. It is good to know about your Britton collection Jess. I would love to see your stuff sometime as well. I know now that there are at least 3 of us Britton fanatics here in DFW. I bet we have virtually every fauna from the Britton represented in our collections.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I love about TFF is reading horror stories that are worse than any of mine, as bad as I thought mine were! :popcorn: