Got a snall sample of so-called "star sand" from Taketomi,Okinawa,Japan, that was loaded with some of (I think) the most beautiful forams: 99% of the sample consists of 2 species, Baculogypsina sphraerulata & Calcaroides spengleri; Went thru my inventory of forams & found some examples of their fossil kin: unfortunately, like any other fossil, the Miocene & Cretaceous ones have suffered a lot of wear & tear, but hopefully you'll be able to view & compare. Don't know if the images do them justice. Each foram is about the size of a grain of sand.

4ghs01.jpg[attachme5wmc.jpg6hl16r.jpgnt=18991

8:foram1a.jpg]post-11324-0-10936800-1368411988_thumb.jpgpost-11324-0-43440600-1368412031_thumb.jpg

post-11324-0-01329500-1368411946_thumb.jpg

Is your sample from an Okinawan beach? I think it is amazing!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Que music: You with the stars in your eyes

The micro world can be so beautiful, thanks for posting this!

Wow! Is the beach made entirely of these things? They are beautiful!

Stephen

Nice pix Ted! :wub: I have some of the same forams from a beach in Guam. I really like the 1st shot.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Is your sample from an Okinawan beach? I think it is amazing!

apparently Taketomi is famous for it's star sand beach; google "Taketomi,Japan" for pics.

Nice pix Ted! :wub: I have some of the same forams from a beach in Guam. I really like the 1st shot.

thanks! 1st pic is with a Nikon Macro lens w/1:1 extension; last one of the individual foram is @ 10x thru Stereo-zoom microscope, but I think my optics could use a good overhaul; didn't come out as good as I would have liked. Fortunately, these are pretty big for forams; glad you liked it.

Que music: You with the stars in your eyes

The micro world can be so beautiful, thanks for posting this!

If you look carefully, some of the spine tips of the Baculogypsina bifurcate; amazing that they survive intact; glad you like the post!