Regg Cato

Alberta Fossil Laws

Regg Cato

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a briefing on what the laws and regulations are for fossil hunting in Alberta; my understanding thusfar is only surface collecting on crown land or private property with permission of landowner, and collected fossils may not be removed from the province.

rejd

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Here is a brief description from the tyrrell museum website.

There are two methods of collecting fossils:

SURFACE COLLECTING (collecting isolated fossils that are clearly on the surface of the ground) is only permitted on private land with the landowner's permission and on provincial Crown land.

EXCAVATING (digging) refers to dislodging in any manner, fossils imbedded/buried in the ground or rock face. Excavating requires a permit, which is available only to professional palaeontologists.

Fossils in Protected Areas

Fossils may not be collected in any provincial/national park or protected area. The Royal Tyrrell Museum is located in Midland Provincial park-598 hectares of grassland in the Red Deer River valley. Collecting in this area is not permitted.

You planning on coming out to Alberta?

Regg Cato

I've been mulling it over for a while, though the objective has changed several times and I'd like to figure out what I'm doing before I go lol

rejd

If you plan on coming out this way, get in touch with me. I can take you out if time permits.

Regg Cato

If it works out I will let you know and take you up on that offer :D

Draconiusultamius

I know this is a really old post, but I just found this and I have heard that you can't alter a fossil found in Alberta either.  I assume this includes removing any matrix material, cleaning the fossil with anything but a bit of water, and doing any sort of reconstruction.  Hopefully this doesn't include accidentally knocking a found fossil over and breaking it (I'm pretty sure it happens often if you're clumsy).  Does this sound correct?

musicnfossils
On 2018-05-02 at 8:53 PM, Draconiusultamius said:

I know this is a really old post, but I just found this and I have heard that you can't alter a fossil found in Alberta either.  I assume this includes removing any matrix material, cleaning the fossil with anything but a bit of water, and doing any sort of reconstruction.  Hopefully this doesn't include accidentally knocking a found fossil over and breaking it (I'm pretty sure it happens often if you're clumsy).  Does this sound correct?

Replying to an old response to an old topic, but I don’t believe that part about altering them is true. I have legally obtained and sold dinosaur bones from Alberta that are fully prepared. (Matrix removed, crack repairs, coated) Sold at a store within miles of the Tyrrell. I’d imagine if there was some sort of law against altering legally obtained fossil material, a seller would be first on the hit list. 

Kane
43 minutes ago, musicnfossils said:

Replying to an old response to an old topic, but I don’t believe that part about altering them is true. I have legally obtained and sold dinosaur bones from Alberta that are fully prepared. (Matrix removed, crack repairs, coated) Sold at a store within miles of the Tyrrell. I’d imagine if there was some sort of law against altering legally obtained fossil material, a seller would be first on the hit list. 

Alberta Historical Resources Act (RSA 2000) does explicitly mention repair and restoration in Sec,. 20 subsec. 9(1a):

(9) Notwithstanding any other Act, no person shall

1. (a)  destroy, disturb, alter, restore or repair any historic resource

or land that has been designated under this section

musicnfossils
4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Alberta Historical Resources Act (RSA 2000) does explicitly mention repair and restoration in Sec,. 20 subsec. 9(1a):

(9) Notwithstanding any other Act, no person shall

1. (a)  destroy, disturb, alter, restore or repair any historic resource

or land that has been designated under this section

Well in that case the fossils I purchased must have had the original owner granted legal ownership through the disposition process, not fully aware of how that works or what the process itself is like but buying the specimens I have was the same as buying literally any other item, came with no paperwork or legal hassle, just pay and go. 

Personally I find the Albertan rules far too strict but I understand them from a scientific perspective. It basically turns collecting fossils into a major financial investment if you want anything truly remarkable and strips the fun out of actually hunting for them as all you can really do if you find something really cool is hand it over to the government. 

Troodon
5 hours ago, musicnfossils said:

Matrix removed, crack repairs, coated 

I've been to that store by near the Tyrrell nice stuff.   I think you can argue that the preparation is preserving the specimen not destroying it.   I have not heard of any paleontologist from that area having a problem with normal prep work.   The alberta fossil police that have attended past Tucson fossil shows are only concerned about a proper disposition.

musicnfossils
2 hours ago, Troodon said:

I've been to that store by near the Tyrrell nice stuff. 

Were you there recently enough to see that massive triceratops skull she has for sale in the basement room? I was very surprised to see something like that for sale in Alberta. Will probably take that thing off her hands eventually given I have enough coin to do so. 

Troodon
46 minutes ago, musicnfossils said:

Were you there recently enough to see that massive triceratops skull she has for sale in the basement room? I was very surprised to see something like that for sale in Alberta. Will probably take that thing off her hands eventually given I have enough coin to do so. 

No have not seen it.  How complete was it?

musicnfossils
1 hour ago, Troodon said:

No have not seen it.  How complete was it?

Here’s an image of it. 

04E647AE-25FD-4D8A-9C4E-CE600AEFB336.jpeg

dinosaur man
On 2020-05-06 at 12:28 PM, musicnfossils said:

Here’s an image of it. 

04E647AE-25FD-4D8A-9C4E-CE600AEFB336.jpeg

I’ve been there and it is an amazing shop! And if you have a certificate or it’s from an old collection and not scientifically important it can be altered.