Sign in to follow this  
Regg Cato

Alberta Fossil Laws

Regg Cato    15
Regg Cato

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a briefing on what the laws and regulations are for fossil hunting in Alberta; my understanding thusfar is only surface collecting on crown land or private property with permission of landowner, and collected fossils may not be removed from the province.

rejd    34
rejd

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Here is a brief description from the tyrrell museum website.

There are two methods of collecting fossils:

SURFACE COLLECTING (collecting isolated fossils that are clearly on the surface of the ground) is only permitted on private land with the landowner's permission and on provincial Crown land.

EXCAVATING (digging) refers to dislodging in any manner, fossils imbedded/buried in the ground or rock face. Excavating requires a permit, which is available only to professional palaeontologists.

Fossils in Protected Areas

Fossils may not be collected in any provincial/national park or protected area. The Royal Tyrrell Museum is located in Midland Provincial park-598 hectares of grassland in the Red Deer River valley. Collecting in this area is not permitted.

You planning on coming out to Alberta?

Regg Cato    15
Regg Cato

I've been mulling it over for a while, though the objective has changed several times and I'd like to figure out what I'm doing before I go lol

rejd    34
rejd

If you plan on coming out this way, get in touch with me. I can take you out if time permits.

Regg Cato    15
Regg Cato

If it works out I will let you know and take you up on that offer :D