Mazon Creek April Trip - Pit 11

evannorton

Hi Folks-

The Pit 11 area around the perimeter of the lake is very overgrown at this point - although I have been able to get out and collect some.

While the Essex fauna definitely has a higher percentage of duds versus the braidwood locales - the diversity of faunal species is much more robust.

Other than one cyperites plant with great points - most of my finds have been faunal in nature.

See below.

A coprinoscolex

post-8532-0-91781400-1368559351_thumb.jpg

Another Didontogaster Cordylina (with anterior portion not visible)or other polychaete worm

post-8532-0-59310300-1368559963_thumb.jpg

How are you breaking those things? I picked out 5 of my "best" nodules, and have been freezing/thawing them for over a week, and nothing yet.

By the way, nice finds!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Excellent finds.... The cyclus is very nice....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Nice ones. I agree on the growth now, gettn pretty difficult. You breaking those with a hammer? I pretty much have switched over to freeze/thaw only now. I can't seem to break very many open without damaging the nodules.

Thanks for the comments. I soak for minimum of three days. Remove and let them thaw and completely dry. Then lightly tap with a hammer or look for natural splits. If no splits, back in the water for three days and repeat.

I am more brazen with braidwood items but Essex are freeze thaw only.

Great specimens!

The second worm might be a Rhaphidiophorus hystrix. Take a look at it under magnification and see if you can make out any spines

Rob-<br /><br />I think you might be right about the second worm - you can clearly see the segments under magnification - to bad the spines aren't very well preserved.<br /><br />Evan

Hi Evan, always nice to see some more Mazon Creek material and all of its different critters/plants. Based on your 1st photo I'm now reaware of "spoon worms" and the obscure Phylum Echiura. I keep learning something every time I come on this site and spend some time! Continued collecting success! Regards, Chris

Archived