lissa318

post-8801-0-39740000-1368591988_thumb.jpg

A large chunk of rock with a bunch of carboniferous pant material I brought home.

post-8801-0-32950700-1368592251_thumb.jpg

And a crooked calamite? Thought and ID's on any of these appreciated. Assuming calamite and cordaite for all. :)

I like the pinched one.

Me too. It's my favorite. :) Have loads of the thinner slate with imprints all over them... Plus annularia and fern fronds. Why am I not finding any 3D fossils? It's killing me. :/

Why am I not finding any 3D fossils? It's killing me. :/

I personally prefer it when they are flat on slabs. The 3D stuff can be difficult to work with.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Lissa.... The 2nd photo (sandy coloured one) shows a fantastic branching node attachment point....where a small branch was previously joined to the stem....You dont see them that good very often... nice!...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Missourian, I think because I've found so many calamites (most are impressions) in the same material that they all seem to look the same?! lol Guess would love to find some that are different. Some members on here have some fabulous 3D calamities and such!!! And Terry, thanks for the info!!! Appreciate it. :) That is definitely one of my more unique pieces. I was pretty excited when I found it! :)

Lissa.... The 2nd photo (sandy coloured one) shows a fantastic branching node attachment point....where a small branch was previously joined to the stem....You dont see them that good very often... nice!...

I personally prefer it when they are flat on slabs. The 3D stuff can be difficult to work with.

Missourian, I think because I've found so many calamites (most are impressions) in the same material that they all seem to look the same?! lol Guess would love to find some that are different. Some members on here have some fabulous 3D calamities and such!!!

I do agree the 3D Calamites are cool. I was thinking of leaves curled up in claystone.

In any case, plants of any kind tend to be quite spotty in my area. It's always a treat to find any at all.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

TELL ME ABOUT IT!