Firstitme At Kinney Brick Quarry New Mexico

larry739

I found out about the Kinney Brick Quarry here on the fossil forum and decided to go check it out. From a paper I found on the internet I got a map showing where it is and dove over first thing this morning. When I arrived I stopped up high and was looking around when Bill saundered up and warned me no to hang out under ths cliffs ans the big boulders fall all the time and I could be killed. He suggested I come down to the shelf they have uncovered ad meet his associates. I did and I was blown away. This is a commercial operation and they are taking the heavy duty approach to excavating a very large area for the fossils. I asked if I could just go through the tailings but by the end of the day I was all in and helping out as a volunteer in return for the stuff they don't need or want. This is a wonderful operation and they have already made some significant finds.. Two insects were found while I was there. One came out of the tailings pile.

These guys are real professionals and I will learn a lot from them. I will probably only go there when one of them is there and will always ask when I find anything new if it is something they want.

Attached are a few pictures

Here is the shelf.post-11723-0-37786100-1368673751_thumb.jpg

Wow, they don't bar you access and you keep what they don't want? That sounds like a win-win arrangement... for once! I like those bivalves.

I was going to ask how old is this stuff but I see the Annularia must make it Pennsylvanian..?

The pics are kind of grainy/noisy, they look like they were taken via a TV or 'puter monitor....? so I can't tell what I'm seeing in all cases.

Very nice finds... It would be good if you could do some clearer photos....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Lucas, S. G., B. D. Allen, K. Krainer, J. Barrick, D. Vachard, J. W.
Schneider, W. A. DiMichele, and A. R. Bashforth, 2011, Precise

age and biostratigraphic significance of the Kinney Brick Quarry

Lagerstätte, Pennsylvanian of New Mexico, USA. Stratigraphy,
vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 7-27.

PDF file at

either http://si-pddr.si.edu/jspui/bitstream/10088/18390/1/paleo_2011-Lucas_et_al._Kinney_Stratigraphy.pdf

and http://si-pddr.si.edu/jspui/handle/10088/18390 or

http://www.academia.edu/1368909/Precise_age_and_biostratigraphic_significance_of_the_Kinney_Brick_Quarry_Lagerstatte_Pennsylvanian_of_New_Mexico_USA

and http://si.academia.edu/WilliamDiMichele

Yours,

Paul H.

sorry my camera is not too good. the nicer cameras clog up with rock dust pretty quickly.

Thanks for the citation Oxytropidoceras it is what I would recommend too. Lucas is coming out to the quarry next Tuesday for a visit. They are placing this site at about 320 my in the Virgilian part of the Pennsylvanian. The bivalves are all Dunbarella sp.and the plants are all terrestrial. The current thinking is that this was a lagoon where a river was emptying into a salty sea and that the depositions were tidal. This means the strata was laid down over a relatively short period of time. There is some great reading in the collection of articles published in 1992 by the New Mexico Bureau of Mines & Mineral Resources BULLETIN 138. I picked up a copy last night and read the articles. Fascinating stuff.

Anyone wanting samples of some of these beautiful fossils can contact me directly at my email.

• 10 months later...

I found out about the Kinney Brick Quarry here on the fossil forum and decided to go check it out. From a paper I found on the internet I got a map showing where it is and dove over first thing this morning. When I arrived I stopped up high and was looking around when Bill saundered up and warned me no to hang out under ths cliffs ans the big boulders fall all the time and I could be killed. He suggested I come down to the shelf they have uncovered ad meet his associates. I did and I was blown away. This is a commercial operation and they are taking the heavy duty approach to excavating a very large area for the fossils. I asked if I could just go through the tailings but by the end of the day I was all in and helping out as a volunteer in return for the stuff they don't need or want. This is a wonderful operation and they have already made some significant finds.. Two insects were found while I was there. One came out of the tailings pile.

These guys are real professionals and I will learn a lot from them. I will probably only go there when one of them is there and will always ask when I find anything new if it is something they want.

Attached are a few pictures

Here is the shelf.attachicon.gifDSCF0001.JPG

where is this site, i will be going thru alb in april and would like to stop and look for them

Archived