Otodus - 125 Vertebrae Found

Snen

Snen,

For me the find of the year!

really great :D

Plz watch for safety.

And if you want some help digging it out just tell me and I come over to your place. No joke:)

Peter

hello Peter, but of course you can come and give us a hand, we organize in private. All fans of fossils and adventure are welcome to help or visit.

hello Peter, but of course you can come and give us a hand, we organize in private. All fans of fossils and adventure are welcome to help or visit.

Hi Snen,

Send you a pm

Peter

Truly amazing! What kind of tools are you using to expose the vertebrae and teeth? Is the fossil layer very hard? I have seen small pieces of matrix with Otodus teeth, and the matrix feels hard like concrete or harder! I don't know how you plan on removing the teeth and vertebrae - in slabs? Be very, very careful, whatever you do. I am also curious above the under ground "cave" you are digging in. Is this a natural cave or man made somehow?

I posted already and i'll say it again crazynesssssssss...II WANT IT MY GOD!!!!

Hello everyone and thank you for sharing your thoughts. Work is under way because the teeth are also under the vertebrae.

For those who do not know how it is done and where it was found Phosphato the Otodus, communicate that it is marine remains. ie sand that was deposited in the sea was in the Ypresian. To search for fossils we use tools such as knives of all sizes to the sand. For the hard parts using different hammers.

Snen

post-10680-0-67142700-1370171189_thumb.jpg

Snen, thanks for the additional photos. You've certainly got a sizeable project there. Really interesting to see all of the finds still in the rock matrix and the stages along the way.... Thanks for allowing us to see how its done. Be safe! Regards, Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, Here almost all the photos of Otodus complete. I thought I was starting to pull away from the teeth making as many blocks with teeth and vertebrae numbered .. Once pulled out of the mines, beginning to pull out to clean the teeth which have remained under the vertebrae. What would you do in my place? Thank you all for visiting

Snen

post-10680-0-22873400-1371997786_thumb.jpg

post-10680-0-31208100-1371997833_thumb.jpg

post-10680-0-66967400-1371997871_thumb.jpg

post-10680-0-03569300-1371997933_thumb.jpg

post-10680-0-07011100-1371998047_thumb.jpg

post-10680-0-98806700-1371998087_thumb.jpg

post-10680-0-44182300-1371998117_thumb.jpg

Simply a stunning fossil! I think I would be tempted to extract the vertebrae and reassemble them into what looks to be a virtually complete spinal column. I don't know how many complete examples of this species have been reassembled but I think that would be just super cool. Of course vertebrae are my favorite type of fossil so I am pretty biased.

You have made an extraordinary find, and its recovery is being made under very difficult conditions!

Congratulations, and thank you for 'bringing us along' :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you for sharing your pictures and progress with us. We see so many amazing things on TFF that we can easily take for granted how special some finds are, and this is one of them. It is pretty amazing to see your shark spread out like that with all the teeth and vertebra. I look forward to seeing more pictures as you continue to recover more and eventually extract it from the ground.

• 3 weeks later...

The turtle will be a difficult recovery; gravity is working against you, so piece-by-piece seems to be the best way.

It may be prudent to shore the ceiling up around it with some heavy-duty timbers...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hello, I would say that the phase of the levy is completed perfectly, thanks for the tips. I have taken the simple ones, which were a little scattered. For the rest I made a plaster, and picked up the turtle.

post-10680-0-55873000-1374132551_thumb.jpg

post-10680-0-02169800-1374132586_thumb.jpg

post-10680-0-00176600-1374132615_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

wow. I can honestly say I never thought I'd see a plaster jacket hanging upside down! Great job of recovery, there!

Is there any document where all the wildlife is shown, the Ypresian?

The Crocodile is posed for a part on the stone, the other on phosphate. I am compelled to first remove all that is on the stone, with hardening resin (Paraloid B72), then I'll make a plaster to the skull, and other parts that are yet to be discovered in the phosphate at the bottom of the pictures you see after the skull.