a small terminal pinnate of Discopteris opulenta Danzé

Pecopteris pennaeformis var. major Brongniart from Lievin

Macroneuropteris scheuchzeri Hoffman from Lens

Sphenopteris sp from Lievin

post-967-1227195600_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227195714_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227195749_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227195785_thumb.jpg

It amazes me at how well they are preserved, with how delicate they were to begin with and now they are of stone,preserved for all time for everyone to see.

It amazes me at how well they are preserved, with how delicate they were to begin with and now they are of stone,preserved for all time for everyone to see.

Hi Mommabetts

Sometimes ,when I open ( break ) the shales ,I am also amazing ,my thought is : " these plants growed up 300 millions years ago ,I 'm the first to see these fossils ....."

bruno

post-967-1227197372_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227197407_thumb.jpg

Hi Mommabetts

Sometimes ,when I open ( break ) the shales ,I am also amazing ,my thought is : " these plants growed up 300 millions years ago ,I 'm the first to see these fossils ....."

bruno

What you have done is such an accomplishment, to have opened up the eyes of so many and gave them a glimpse into the past of what the earth looked like. Your fossils are so detailed, that all one has to do is close their eyes and you can see it vividly. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
What you have done is such an accomplishment, to have opened up the eyes of so many and gave them a glimpse into the past of what the earth looked like. Your fossils are so detailed, that all one has to do is close their eyes and you can see it vividly. Thanks for sharing.

Some pecopteris ferns

Polymorphopteris ( pecopteris ) polymorpha from Graissessac (herault ) South of France

Polymorphopteris from Champagnac les mines (Cantal) France

Neuropteris tenuifolia from Lievin

Pecopteris fertile fern from Lievin

Pecopteris sp from Macot la Plagne (Savoie )

post-967-1227901717_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227901746_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227901869_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227901890_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227901912_thumb.jpg

Those are absolutely beautifull. They have wonderful detail and look so delicate, hard to believe they are in stone. Picture perfect.

Neuropteris tenuifolia from Lievin

Pecopteris sp from Macot la Plagne (Savoie )

The Lievin Neuropteris really shows the varying morphology of the pinules, and the Macot la Plagne Pecopteris is a great example of different preservation from different sites.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The Lievin Neuropteris really shows the varying morphology of the pinules, and the Macot la Plagne Pecopteris is a great example of different preservation from different sites.

Very good , Auspex ,look about the varying morphology of the alethopteris pinnules ,a pit near Lens France

post-967-1227908391_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227908411_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227908444_thumb.jpg

If found seperately, I might have thought them to be different plants!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

That is amazing, I would not have thought that they were the same, especially the one in the middle. To me it doesn't look like the same plant.

Very good , Auspex ,look about the varying morphology of the alethopteris pinnules ,a pit near Lens France

Alethopteris lonchitiqua is a seed fern from Lievin aera

Pecopteris simoni

Mariopteris sp

post-967-1228082184_thumb.jpg

post-967-1228082233_thumb.jpg

post-967-1228082308_thumb.jpg

The genus Neuropteris is characterized by a leaf terminates in a single leaflet ( terminal pinnule ) in french : imparipinnate

The genus Ondotopteris is lacked in north of france ,this specimen comes from Spain (Magdalena ,

post-967-1228116637_thumb.jpg

post-967-1228116669_thumb.jpg

post-967-1228116720_thumb.jpg

I see that the veination of the pinnules, and how the pinnules attach to the rachis, are the keys to identity.

I also see that excellent preservation is required!

Mariopteris foliage ,part and counterpart,we can see rachis on the left side of the second sample...

Callipteridium gigas , fern from Spain ,la Magdalena Leon ,Stephanian .....

post-967-1228240424_thumb.jpg

post-967-1228240444_thumb.jpg

post-967-1228240476_thumb.jpg