Tooth And Bone Pathologies

Harry Pristis

Okay, here's a feral pig (Sus scrofa) skull with what I believe was actinomycosis (lumpy jaw) exhibited in the left side of the lower jaw. The remains were found in southwest Florida. There are two teeth and sockets missing from the left side of the lower jaw, and the jaw bone itself is malformed and has some holes going through it to the other side. The teeth on the right side of the skull have more wear than those on the left side, probably to compensate for the missing left side teeth and the compromised integrity of the left jaw bone. The infection appears to have started when it was younger, and the bone grew in a way that covered up much of the tooth sockets, with just a bit left on the inside of the jaw to show that the teeth were once there.

post-1000-1227992127_thumb.jpg

post-1000-1227992148_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"How did I turn this into a rant against spring water companies?"

I have no idea. Maybe you ought to lighten up on the reading of tracer's posts. i'm thinking he might be having a negative effect on you. but you're gaining on him on the free-associative-thinking bit. probably because you ate more pumpkin pie than he.

p.s. - if you'd soaked those ray-jaws in strong tea for awhile, you could have at least claimed they were fossils. if you'd have pm'd me that you were going to do it, i'd have even backed you on it. you need to get with me. i've been posting a bunch of stuff i've gotten from the dipsy dumpster behind a local butcher shop and nobody's called me on it yet...

p.p.s. - don't try to sell that a vert still has fossilized spinal cord sticking out of it. some fool tried that here and auspex was on him like a duck-lover on a june bug...

snarge! ok, look, everyone, just ignore the previous post, because it was supposed to be a p.m. (sheesh) tj hit me in the ankle with a curve ball when he was practicing pitching today and i can't think straight anymore...

p.s. - if you'd soaked those ray-jaws in strong tea for awhile, you could have at least claimed they were fossils. if you'd have pm'd me that you were going to do it, i'd have even backed you on it. you need to get with me. i've been posting a bunch of stuff i've gotten from the dipsy dumpster behind a local butcher shop and nobody's called me on it yet...

You're right. I suppose I could have also tweaked the photos to grayscale and darkened the "fossils" too, oh well. The mention about the dipsy dumpster finds would help explain the photos of the "Paleochicken wing fragments" you posted right after a big Monday night football event. I knew I had seen teriyaki sauce on the distal end of one of them... :P

...I knew I had seen teriyaki sauce on the distal end of one of them... :P

That's just a new preservation technique...

Paleo-Sauce

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pic of my best pathy. The tooth is a double tipped 5" x 4 1/8" wide. This tooth is just about perfect, the only exception is the crack in the root but who's complaining. The best thing about this tooth is that it should not have been. A couple years back when hurricane isabel was comming up the coast me and my brother decided to get our boat out of the marina and back to the house and we wanted to hit the beach up before we took her home. When we got to the boat his work called and they needed him to come in ASAP he talked a little and held them off for a minute. Then the boat didn't want to start, then work called again and needed him in. He called a co-worker and he was kind enough to go in for him. We got the boat started and headed out to the beach. When i found the meg i picked it up thinking the tip was dinged but was still stoked anyways. I then took a closer look and started dancing on the beach. So if it were not for the hurricane coming someone working for my brother and the boat finally starting this tooth would not have been

post-337-1228792708_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of my best pathy. The tooth is a double tipped 5" x 4 1/8" wide. post-337-1228792708_thumb.jpg

You're kiddin', right?!

post-423-1228794321_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's a pic of my best pathy. The tooth is a double tipped 5" x 4 1/8" wide. This tooth is just about perfect, the only exception is the crack in the root but who's complaining. The best thing about this tooth is that it should not have been. A couple years back when hurricane isabel was comming up the coast me and my brother decided to get our boat out of the marina and back to the house and we wanted to hit the beach up before we took her home. When we got to the boat his work called and they needed him to come in ASAP he talked a little and held them off for a minute. Then the boat didn't want to start, then work called again and needed him in. He called a co-worker and he was kind enough to go in for him. We got the boat started and headed out to the beach. When i found the meg i picked it up thinking the tip was dinged but was still stoked anyways. I then took a closer look and started dancing on the beach. So if it were not for the hurricane coming someone working for my brother and the boat finally starting this tooth would not have been

Man, that is a really nice tooth! It's all the more impressive to me that you found it rather than purchased it. Very very nice!

This is really an exceptional meg. I especially like the way each tip exhibits serrations. Size and pathology. :):)

This is really an exceptional meg. I especially like the way each tip exhibits serrations. Size and pathology. :):)

If you like that then you will love the fact that there are two sets of serrations on the tip. One set on the labial side and the other on the lingual side with about a quarter inch gap in between them. So basically when the tip starts to split the serrations split as well with one set going on the top of the crown and the other on the bottom of the crown. If i had not been snackin all night i'd get a picture of it, i don;t like to handle my teeth after eating even after a washin, maybe tomorrow.

Now that is one wicked looking tooth!!

• 1 month later...

here is a couple of articulated verts I found from a hadrosaur. There is a huge growth on the one vert (whiteish area bleached by sun) and some smaller growths on the other. I have no idea what may have caused this, injury, cancer!?! I think it is bone growth caused by an injury but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know!

here is another, it's a champosaur vert with a large indentation in it. I have no idea what would cause this? Any ideas?

Guest bmorefossil
here is another, it's a champosaur vert with a large indentation in it. I have no idea what would cause this? Any ideas?

very cool i have a few that have the same the same pathologity as the first few

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one on a 6" meg tooth... I have seen something like this before I think. I was just too lazy to look anything up on it. The tooth has nice serrations but is not complete. Forgive the photos, they were done quickly. The tooth is much more greyish brown in color.

post-1234-1233367040_thumb.jpg post-1234-1233367067_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what I found today :D

DSC02137.jpg

A shark with a serious back problem!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

yea thats pretty cool, sure its shark?

Pretty sure :D

I tried taking more pics but they came out funny, I'll take some more. I gave up after my batteries died :rolleyes::D

Guest bmorefossil
Pretty sure :D

I tried taking more pics but they came out funny, I'll take some more. I gave up after my batteries died :rolleyes::D

k, just making sure

Guest bmorefossil

hmm some of it looks like fish other parts looks a little shark

not really sure, ill look over my verts tonight, right now i could go either way

hmm some of it looks like fish other parts looks a little shark

not really sure, ill look over my verts tonight, right now i could go either way

Well, sharks are techically fish ;) but I understand what you're saying. It's the oddest vert I've ever seen and the most pathologic I have.