Sc Shark Tooth Identification Guide

Sharks of SC

Hey guys and gals,

I've worked on several variations of this idea over the years, but haven't yet made one thats visually appealing, informative, and compact. The ultimate goal is to have a laminated copy for everyone that I take tooth hunting so that they can take a stab at identifying their finds in the field. I traced teeth in my collection so that the drawings (when the sheet is scaled to 8.5" x 11") will be approximately life-size.

As you can see, I'm quickly running out of space and still have several species I'd like to cover...guess its time to start another one.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Eventually, I'd like to write up and illustrate a little "field guide" type think for beach hunting for fossils...just as a project. I did one a few years ago with the girlfriend for birdwatching (for kids)...it was a lot of fun.

Anyway thanks for taking a look.

Happy hunting,

CBK

Latest version...for now -

post-2469-0-14993500-1369061748_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

...and a page unbound page from the kids' bird watching guide, "Charleston Chirps" -

post-2469-0-30387300-1369061851_thumb.jpg

Oh my gosh, Cade, you are so talented. Great job!! I want one. :D

Edited by Taffie

I've got my signed copy mounted next to all of the incredible Charleston material you helpped me out with last year :D

I copied it for the kids I gave teeth to and it really helps. Thanks again for the update

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

That looks great!

Oh my gosh, Cade, you are so talented. Great job!! I want one. :D

Thanks guys - this is just what I do when I can't get out and find some...or when bored in class.

Taffie, which one would you like? I've got lots and lots of doodles, most nature-themed. I'd be happy to send some your way.

I've got my signed copy mounted next to all of the incredible Charleston material you helpped me out with last year :D

I copied it for the kids I gave teeth to and it really helps. Thanks again for the update

Hey Jeff,

Thank you kindly. They're fun to draw, and if anyone gets any benefit at all from them, I consider it a bonus.

Take care,

Cade

I would love the tooth id guide, it's fabulous. Thanks! Oh, yes - and signed please! :)

Edited by Taffie

Wow, it looks like you could just grab them out of the page and stick 'em in the loot bag! I wish I had something like that when I was first starting out, great work!

I would love the tooth id guide, it's fabulous. Thanks! Oh, yes - and signed please! :)

Just finished it up...PM sent :)

Wow, it looks like you could just grab them out of the page and stick 'em in the loot bag! I wish I had something like that when I was first starting out, great work!

Thanks ibuprofen,

Glad you like it. Ill have a copy for you next hunt.

CBK

Great job Cade! I think there is plenty of interest out there and the few attempts I have seen folks at such a guide pale in comparison to yours. Nice!

Great job Cade! I think there is plenty of interest out there and the few attempts I have seen folks at such a guide pale in comparison to yours. Nice!

Thanks Jason!

Very nice.

Since references tend to be quite scattered in the literature, I've had to do the same myself with Pennsylvanian invertebrates, but your drawings are higher quality.

Context is critical.

Very nice.

Since references tend to be quite scattered in the literature, I've had to do the same myself with Pennsylvanian invertebrates, but your drawings are higher quality.

Hey Missourian, thanks - I'd love to see your drawings.

Hey Missourian, thanks - I'd love to see your drawings.

This crinoid key is the only one I took any real care with:

post-6808-0-37095700-1369360910_thumb.png

The rest of the drawing are not much more than chicken scratchings that show the various diagnostic features of the genera. I suppose I could scan a few in just because. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.

This crinoid key is the only one I took any real care with:

attachicon.gifCrinoid-id-key-small.png

The rest of the drawing are not much more than chicken scratchings that show the various diagnostic features of the genera. I suppose I could scan a few in just because. :)

Those are AWESOME, Missourian! Your attention to detail is impressive. Fortunately for me, most of the frequently-found shark teeth found locally differ quite a bit from one another so I could take some liberties with my drawings.

Well done!