jimmy1971

Sherman Texas Shark Teeth?

jimmy1971

Anyone from Texas ever hunt the Sherman area for shark teeth? I was just wondering if anyone ever did any good? I was hoping on going with the wife and 6 yr old son soon, but wanted to see if it's a good location still. If you've been to the area please let me know if you had any good finds. Thanks for any advise you can give that will make my search any easier. My son is just facinated by fossil shark teeth ever since we found a couple in the NSR.

mommabetts

There is a few places in Grayson county to find shark teeth. A large road cut, a few creeks and red river.

tracer

jimmy - it's well established that there are shark teeth in post oak creek. a problem is that everybody seems to like shark teeth and most of us seem to have found some, but not in huge quantities in texas cretaceous locations. the searching can be a bit tedious compared to say, FLORIDA, or some other states where guys just drive by sites with their windows down and the teeth leap into the car.

jimmy1971

Thanks Tracer and Momma! I guess we'll just go and give it a try. After all, it's the not knowing and all the searching that make finding a tiny shark tooth feel like you just found a little treasure. I love that feeling!

tracer

true enough. don't overlook the other fossils, though, when you're out finding the shark teeth. if you can get the kid interested in fossil oysters, it can save you a lot of heartache. tj, are you listening?

mommabetts

There are several good places to collect in Grayson county. I would not want to name all of them on here for all to see, but I can tell you that if you just drive around and see a good deep creek stop. Most of the good spots are found by just exploring the area. Carry a rope with you, it helps to get in the steeper creek beds, believe me it will be worth it. Right now the red river is very low, sift the sand bars, you will be surprised at how many teeth you find. Look for deep road cuts, park and walk up the steep hill, look close, they will be there. I hope this helps.

jimmy1971

Thanks guys! I will take a look at a google map of grayson county and look for some creeks to explore. Thanks momma for pointing me in the right direction. We did go back to a creek in Valley View and found quite a few ammonites, a couple of shells, and I found a REALLY nice shark tooth digging into the bank of the creek and spliting some rocks. I pulled a rock out, split it with a hammer, turned it over and there she was! A beautiful specimen! Still embedded in the matrix, but the enamel is in prestine condition. I am a newbie at this, so this was an incredible find for me. I would like to try to expose it a little more, but I'm afraid to mess with it. I think I better leave that sort of thing to the professionals. I took a couple of pics, but they were with my phone, so please excuse the quality. This is my first time posting pics so I hope this works.

post-1003-1227410079_thumb.jpg

post-1003-1227410098_thumb.jpg

Auspex
...I pulled a rock out, split it with a hammer, turned it over and there she was! A beautiful specimen! Still embedded in the matrix, but the enamel is in prestine condition. I am a newbie at this, so this was an incredible find for me...

You must be smiling ear-to-ear! (I got excited just reading your account) :)

jimmy1971
You must be smiling ear-to-ear! (I got excited just reading your account) :)

Yes I am Auspex! I keep going over to the mantle to look at it. Makes me smile every time!

mommabetts

Well done, congratulations on the tooth find. I still remember my first tooth find, the feeling lasted for days and made me want to go back to find another.

tracer

congratulations, jimmy. sounds like you really have the fever, and you're in a good location to have it. it does pay to be cautious when attempting to expose more of a texas cretaceous tooth in matrix, particularly the root. a lot of the roots just don't seem to be as stable as the rest of the tooth.

ChertKat

I went to post oak creek today and found one within 7 minutes...found lots of other good stuffs

Potomacteeth

Is this place public? I mean you can just stop and walk down without worry of trespassing?

JarrodB
On 1/1/2018 at 3:10 PM, Potomacteeth said:

Is this place public? I mean you can just stop and walk down without worry of trespassing?

Yes