2 Kids Killed Looking For Fossils In Minnesota Park

Shamalama

I just saw this article online about a school group that was collecting fossils at Lilydale Regional Park near St. Paul. Two kids died when a rain soaked gravel slope failed.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/23/18441754-two-children-killed-in-minnesota-field-trip-landslide?lite

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

horrible!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

As a teacher this hit me in the gut. You want the students to have these kinds of experiences, but you realize the world is an inherently dangerous place.

Truly sad. Got a few places that I won't collect... too dangerous.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

My thoughts and prayers go to the victims families. :(

Sad that what should have been a fun and exciting day had to end in tragedy.

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Very sad----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

This is truly sad, especially as a parent and grandparent.

But, as fossil collectors we know that this is a risky business with snakes, spiders, scorpions, risk of falling, dehydration, falling rocks, etc. As the DPS fossil hunt organizer often says, don't be afraid - be careful.

So sad...

I can't imagine the sorrow for the families of the two boys who died....

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Due to the recent tragic deaths of two school children on a fossil collecting field trip at Lilydale Regional Park in St. Paul, MN, the fossil quarries have been closed until further notice. Two 4th-graders were killed in a sudden landslide in the park on May 22, 2013.

So sad. This is only 10 minutes from where I live. It's horrible to think how something that is meant to be a fun expirience can quickly to tragedy!

Such a heartbreaking and tragic accident.

Some other articles about it are:

Fossil Area Closed After 2 Boys Die in Minnesota Park

http://www.1011now.com/news/national/headlines/Fossil-Area-Closed-After-2-Boys-Die-in-Minnesota-Park-208756731.html

Two boys, 9 and 10, killed in Minnesota landslide

Mail Online, May 23, 2013, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2329424/Minnesota-landslide-kills-boys-9-10-elementary-school-fossil-hunt-turns-deadly.html

Minnesota park requires fossil hunt liability waiver

Grand Forks Herald, http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/264300/group/homepage/

An article that describes the "Brickyard" area of

Lilydale Regional Park is “Fossil hunting season

at Lilydale” http://www.sciencebuzz.org/blog/fossil-hunting-season-lilydale-here

The article states:

"The park is located on the bluffs across the river

from downtown St. Paul and is the former quarry

and manufacturing site of the now defunct Twin

Cities Brick Company."

Yours,

Paul H.

Tragic, you can never take things for granted.... How many times have we all been told don't go near the edge... don't go close to the blasting face....

The unexpected loss of a child is almost unbearable. My prayers go out to the parents.

I am concerned about "restrictions" for safety, my own good, and the determination to prevent re-occurrences. A few of my fondest childhood memories occurred at a very young age when risking life and limb. Local authorities and Insurance companies have done their utmost to restrict those high bridges, railroad tracks, abandoned buildings that made me think (incorrectly) that I was invincible. I was merely lucky.

I would never trade memories for safety, although - had they known - my parents would have.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

As a father of fossil hunters, this story just kicks me in the gut. My families prayers go out to those that have suffered from this tragedy.

• 3 weeks later...

This reminds everyone that any slope or vertical face/rock formation can give way unexpectedly especially if wet...children need to be watched carefully on fossil digs even shallow "safe" sites - where rocks can tumble down unexpectedly. This is really devastating news.

My heart goes out to those people. It's a tragedy.

It reminded me of something I saw recently.

Heres a scary pic ...that's me striking a silly pose which in itself could be considered scary. What I'm really talking about though are those huge chunks of earth. They were laying exactly where I was standing while checking out some debris earlier that week. They must have fallen about 30 ft. Kinda reminds me of the south leg of Davis creek in the NSR. It's laying everywhere on the ground in huge mounds.

post-9617-0-32258700-1371439482_thumb.jpg

Archived