We Found A T Rex!

chele

Chele, thanks again for sharing the "play by play" with the Forum. We're all running out of adjectives to describe such...coolishnesses.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Here is a jugal and quadra jugal from the Rex. I did a quick prep on them today since we could not go out because it was raining. The weather man is calling for thuder storms all this week, so I do not think we will be able to do anything this week. Therapod bones are so fragile. Extreme care must be taken when trying to remove the bones. I used up all the vinac(1 gallon) and CA(2 pints) that I had. I will order more tomorrow. I do have a lot of plaster and burlap so if the weather breaks I can do the bottom of the skull.

WOW :)

I am so happy for you :)

May you count how many teeth are in place? :o :o :o

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Chele,

Can't Thank You enough for letting us all follow along on your discovery and processes.

THANKS!

Yes I am enjoying your updates!!! Simply amazing to follow along in your adventure! So excited and happy for you! :D

Thats a great find...I hope every thing works out for you and I will be looking forward to more updates......Congrad's on a wonerful find.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

What an exciting find, and what a story indeed!

Thanks for posting all those pictures!

Jean

JeanB

Montreal, QC, Canada

Ordovician, Trenton group

How did I miss this thread?! This is sooooo coool! Congrats to Blaine and thanks for taking the time to keep all of us posted. :popcorn:

Looks like really fantastic preservation on those bones. What an amazing find and amazing thread, thanks for sharing...

Great Googly Moogly! :faint:

Now your work is really cut out for you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It has been raining all week! As of this morning we have received 2.8 inches of rain. The site is safe. After we put the top jacket on we covered the skull with a tarp and dug drainage ditches to divert the water. The whole site is sand, so if we could get there we could dig for more. The trouble is that clay is everywhere between our house and the site. Even four wheelers can not get to the site. We are going crazy not being able to dig! The rain is supposed to continue into next week!

Chele & Blaine, can you say Helicopter? :) Seriously though, I think some of us would be crawling on all fours, or wearing "snow-shoes" to get across to the T-Rex.

You mention the whole site is sand...does that mean that the T-Rex is buried in matrix soft as sand or is the matrix on/around the bones real hard?

Still can't wait to see one of those huge teeth! Thanks for sharing.

Daryl.

I have been busy with the start of a new semester and had not looked at the forum lately.... WOW!! Can't say anything more.

I hope the ranch owners don't care about money and let you keep it. It is such an incredible find, I am both jealous and elated on your behalves.

It has been raining all week! As of this morning we have received 2.8 inches of rain. The site is safe. After we put the top jacket on we covered the skull with a tarp and dug drainage ditches to divert the water. The whole site is sand, so if we could get there we could dig for more. The trouble is that clay is everywhere between our house and the site. Even four wheelers can not get to the site. We are going crazy not being able to dig! The rain is supposed to continue into next week!

I have been going thru something similar but on a smaller scale - been raining all week and I have plastic covering an already-stabilized ammonite up my local hill but should be sunny tomorrow and I'll try getting it out then. You don't have the risk of vandals like I do? (my reason for going crazy while I wait!)

Vandals would suck.. Seems we all suffer from rain, but I'm still suffering from it from back in December.

+1 on waiting to see pics of the big teeth!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I don't know how I could contain myself if I came across something lke that. I'd be more excited than my 7 year old.

Herb

As far as the theft or vandalism goes, we do not have to worry about that. The ranch is 65 square miles in the middle of nowhere. If someone did sneak in they would never find the site. This country is so rough and rugged it would be very hard to see our site. The site is in a spot you would never even think to look at!

That's lucky.. guess that's why there are dinos still to be found there. I have dog walkers and dirtbikers and everybody else to worry about at my site! One ammonite went missing right out of our wheelbarrow once... so I always worry when I have to leave something up there for a while before being able to get it out of there.

Will be watching your progress.. good luck!

What a wonderful find! We are about to leave on a trip headed out towards Wyoming and surroundings, so now my nights will be filled with dreams of equally fabulous finds! Congratulations to you both.

Fingers crossed for the weather to clear SOON.... I want to see some more photo's.... Fabulous...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I can hardly catch my breath! This is all very exciting!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!