Carboniferous Plants From France 50

docdutronc

Such a variety! How many species of Sigillaria have been described? How many of those might be different layers of bark from the same tree?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Such a variety! How many species of Sigillaria have been described? How many of those might be different layers of bark from the same tree?

Most species who are draw on this picture are present in my collection ,some are very uncommon ,leafs cushions could be very different in the basal part ,the middle trunk or near the summit .....

post-967-1227371792_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

I don't want to "speak" for Auspex, but I think he meant if some of the different specie names attributed to Sigillaria could be the same plant, but one of the 6(?) inner layers of bark.

Sort of like how Annularia and Calamites come from the same plant.

I don't want to "speak" for Auspex, but I think he meant if some of the different specie names attributed to Sigillaria could be the same plant, but one of the 6(?) inner layers of bark.

Sort of like how Annularia and Calamites come from the same plant.

Yes I agree,the autors have multiplyed the species in genus sigillaria ,but some of these barks are typical of a geological level ...,so in french we say "different stade ontogénique de croissance ",you know this word in american : ontogeny