Sign in to follow this  
bikegoon

Dayton, Ohio Future Forum Member Dig!

bikegoon

Hello all!

I have a great site to share, would like to possibly get a small group together for it.

A little about the site:

Its a railroad cut.

Its steep, really steep in places. But the bottom pile is MASSIVE and stretches for hundreds of yards, on both sides.

Its a short walk to the site from a pubic park.

Like I said It is a railroad cut, but the site is massive and I have never any issues here.

I walked half of one side and found three very nice enrolled Flexis, some nice brachs, a few crinoid stems and some other stuff. One flexi was the size of a large gumball.

Of course, higher up...the shale can be very soft. And splitting it with a putty knife has given me some fantastic prone trilobites as well as the head of an isotelus.

Just putting this out for a feeler.

Happy digging!!

bikegoon

Mods, not sure if this was right place for this post?

Sorry if not

Herb

Sounds like the Wright Brothers Memorial site?

I'd love to visit this site. My wife and I are always looking for new places. Caesars Creek has pretty much bored us on our recent trips

Oh, I've heard that the Wright Brothers memorial railroad cut would be a good place to look for enrolled flexi's. Is there a way to get to the bottom of the cut without much of a hike? My brother likes to fossil hunt with me but he has arthritis in his knees and can't climb too much without being in agony.

Herb

Oh, I've heard that the Wright Brothers memorial railroad cut would be a good place to look for enrolled flexi's. Is there a way to get to the bottom of the cut without much of a hike? My brother likes to fossil hunt with me but he has arthritis in his knees and can't climb too much without being in agony.

not that I remember, I believe that I walked around the side of the cut. The cut at SR 42 and Roxanna-New Berlington Rd near Waynesville also has trilos. and you can park in front of it.

not that I remember, I believe that I walked around the side of the cut. The cut at SR 42 and Roxanna-New Berlington Rd near Waynesville also has trilos. and you can park in front of it.

Thank you kindly for the suggestion. I will have to check the cut out the next time my brother comes along.

Herb

Almost all of the road cuts along SR 42 have fossils in them.

bikegoon

Hello all!

This cut is in MIamisburg :D

I will post a pic or a link to an image of it.

Its fairly accesible, but tricky to walk on due to the gravel

Herr Mario

post-13249-0-65067600-1379892056_thumb.jpg....ever try Hueston Woods...???...south side of the lake...bottom of the spillway...either side.....so many fossils you cant decide where to start...this pic I took in first week of August when I found 6 trilobites within 45 minutes and I wasnt even trying...

Stocksdale

I collected at the railroad cut at the Wright Brothers Memorial this evening. Interesting stuff. The lower half was ordovician and the upper part was silutian.

Pretty rough getting down and up the steep cut. But still fun.

hrguy54

I was at the Hueston Woods site late this summer.... there is construction going on to replace the concrete. The "cliff walls" have all been scraped. The pickings are pretty slim until erosion takes over again.

Edited by hrguy54

hrguy54

I was at the Miamisburg site in mid-Fall, what I describe happening at Hueston Woods also has been done there. And a trench (maybe 4' across and 3' deep) has been dug between the hillside and the railroad tracks.

Last winter (2014) a lot of material slid down the hillside and littered the tracks with large rocks. Railroad was being a bit pre-emptive for winter, 2015.

Once again, will have to wait a while for erosion to open things up again.