Baby Meg From Zolfo

Shellseeker

A great Memorial day -- sunshine, a breeze, and friendly people on the river. Good day for Hemis, armadillo osteoderms, large tigers and a special posterior Meg -- with a cusp or maybe 2 cusps.

Just sharing an uncommon find. SSpost-2220-0-37603400-1369705121_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-65000900-1369705142_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

That's a wicked looking little tooth, Shellseeker - well spotted. :)

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

SS, that is a sweet find! Might have to someday take a trip down that way! I'm regretting not having gone down there with the TB fossil club recently. thanks for the post. Regards, Chris

SS, that is a sweet find! Might have to someday take a trip down that way! I'm regretting not having gone down there with the TB fossil club recently. thanks for the post. Regards, Chris

Chris, Don't wait too long. The Peace RIver is a magical place with many locations distant from human activities and habitation. The summer rainy season starts soon, washing out most (all) of the fossil hunting. But right now, the water depth is low and finding deeper holes can be very productive. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice right hook on the mini meg! I dont think ill be venturing up the peace till next dry season.post-10787-0-00780600-1369876734_thumb.png this one is from arcadia peace river. Recovered by deep shoveling and hard screening :)

• 1 year later...

Following paths from yesterday's memories.

I posted this thread a couple of years ago of a baby Meg which has become one of my favorites. I was especially interested in the "cusps" on a Megalodon. Chubs/Angys/Rics are rare or non-existing in the Peace River.

After 2 years, I decided to return to that location this past Friday. The river was pretty empty of people and that included a couple of kids fishing for bass.

I did not find very much, but what I did find fits the reason I returned. Two Megs --- Although broken, note the cusps.

post-2220-0-30752900-1432500632_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-40197500-1432500671_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-71537800-1432500761_thumb.jpg

I was looking for more Megs with cusps and found 2!! If rains hold off, I may return to see if I can find another whole one. I have not found that many Megs at this location, but it seems as if most that I do find there have these cusps. Curious. SS

Jack, after we talked, I looked at all the megs I have, many of which came from between your site and where I was digging. I don't have any with the suggestive cusps. I do have about 5 pounds of meg fragments that I should check, but those cusps are rare.

I'm probably going back to my same spot this coming Weds. and taking Herb and his wife. See you there??? 7:00 AM meet at Pioneer Park.

Hey Jack, more neat finds....I should follow you John/Ken/Jeff and Chris all around and just pick up your scraps that you all are tossing and/waste tailings...I'm a scrounge and would be happy with that stuff I'm sure...

I'm glad you reposted this....made me go look at the few teeth I have from the area...Maybe I overlooked another rarity with one of the young Megs that I had heard that have some of their ancestral cusps still showing? I dont have alot of complete teeth but this little guy is a land find from Manatee county...and seems to have a bit of a cusp?? and some irregular serrations...

post-1240-0-70428200-1432560453_thumb.jpg

Continued hunting success!

Regards, Chris

Nice land find, Chris. I love the color and it is truly a Meg with residual cusps gene. I know we have Chubs in North Florida. Makes me wonder where is the dividing line... Above Tampa..above Gainesville..?

Nice Finds. I love the curvature of the tooth. I only have one that i found on a trip to Florida. Found it in the keys years ago. I'll get it posted to the gallery soon. We don't have anything like those great teeth up here by me. At least that I'm aware of. Good job!

"Keep Looking Down"

"Work is experience, experience is knowledge, knowledge is confidence, confidence is a job well done!"

Really nice set of teeths there...

So far I havn't found any shark teeths but I hope to find some this summer.

Congratulations

Torben

Really nice set of teeths there...

So far I havn't found any shark teeths but I hope to find some this summer.

Congratulations Torben

Torben, You still have time to reconsider. Like potato chips, you just can't eat one. It is addictive, and once you find your first one, you are almost forced to go back over and over again. Good luck hunting and I look forward to photos. Jack

Nice land find, Chris. I love the color and it is truly a Meg with residual cusps gene. I know we have Chubs in North Florida. Makes me wonder where is the dividing line... Above Tampa..above Gainesville..?

Hey Jack, thanks. Interesting question. I'm not into teeth much at all yet..still really green but I'm trying!!..gonna take some of the shark teeth gurus here to provide a response/answer if available.

Regards, Chris

• 4 weeks later...

This makes me feel SO stupid. Back in 1973, I lived directly across from Pioneer Park. The easternmost bank of gas pumps at the BP gas station are right about where my house was. I was at the river countless times, but fossils weren't on my radar back then, because "dinosaurs weren't found in Florida."

Who KNOWS what kind of finds I'd have made back in those days?

This makes me feel SO stupid. Back in 1973, I lived directly across from Pioneer Park. The easternmost bank of gas pumps at the BP gas station are right about where my house was. I was at the river countless times, but fossils weren't on my radar back then, because "dinosaurs weren't found in Florida."

Who KNOWS what kind of finds I'd have made back in those days?

I visited the home of a sweet lady named Nancy who lives in Wauchula. She and her husband hunted the Peace River from 1965 on.. Specifically she said that every year after the summer rains, they would take a camping trip down the river starting in Pioneer Park,

They found a total of 168 complete Mammoth teeth and 38 Mastodon teeth laying on the surface. They never dug for fossils -- just looked for what the high waters uncovered.

Here are photos of a few of the fossils in her collection.

post-2220-0-81322200-1435288215_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-61236800-1435288327_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-70622500-1435288372_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-71190200-1435288399_thumb.jpg

You might have done well in 1973. SS

I visited the home of a sweet lady named Nancy who lives in Wauchula. She and her husband hunted the Peace River from 1965 on.. Specifically she said that every year after the summer rains, they would take a camping trip down the river starting in Pioneer Park,

They found a total of 168 complete Mammoth teeth and 38 Mastodon teeth laying on the surface. They never dug for fossils -- just looked for what the high waters uncovered.

Here are photos of a few of the fossils in her collection.

attachicon.gifCompleteTusk-Cm.jpgattachicon.gifPicture2 002cm.jpgattachicon.gifCatCarnassial.jpgattachicon.gifJuveMammoth.jpg

You might have done well in 1973. SS

If I had known then what I know now, I probably would have. Especially since I would have been able to access a section of river upstream from Pioneer Park, via our landlord's pasture.

Also, those are some awesome finds you made! I'm going to have to make a vacation trip back to Florida sometime in the next few years & hit the Peace again!

Archived