Sign in to follow this  
KyWahine

I Need Help To Id. Looks Like A Whole Leg From Shoulder To Foot

KyWahine

I am trying not to get too excited so I need someone to settle me down.... lol. I'm sure it's probably something else, but maybe someone in the forum could point me in the right direction with this one. Whatever this fossil may be, it is interestingly cool :)

post-7980-0-21448400-1369834790_thumb.jpgpost-7980-0-29029900-1369835491_thumb.jpg

Edited by KyWahine

Fossildude19

Sorry KyWahine, - Not a leg. :(

Due to the other fossils I can see on the piece, (brachiopods?) - it looks like a marine environment, so,... I'm thinking either crinoid, or trace burrow.

Maybe a few more pics from different angles, and the whole piece with something for scale will help to clarify exactly what you have there.

Regards,

KyWahine

That's alright Fossildude19. I thought maybe it was too good to be true. It is very interesting and I've been hunting this area for over a year now and haven't run across anything quite like this. Here are a few more pictures. The fossil is about 1 3/4" (46 mm) in length and about and a little over an

1 inch width (28 mm ) I'll try to get a picture for scale.

post-7980-0-44755800-1369835769_thumb.jpg

post-7980-0-02936200-1369835838_thumb.jpg

Edited by KyWahine

the tatter

I have some things that look very similar in my missippian limestone, I have always thought that they were either badly weathered brachiopod pieces, or some other disarticulated bits. Here's hoping that I am wrong, and you and I both have something very cool. :popcorn:

Marilyn

KyWahine

Here are a couple more pictures for scale. What a difference lighting makes :)

post-7980-0-82079300-1369840961_thumb.jpg

This is a side view of this fossil rock.

post-7980-0-55642900-1369840928_thumb.jpg

Fossildude19

What county was this found in?

Do you know the age of the sediments you are hunting?

Regards,

KyWahine

I apologize for the lack of information. Ok... The fossil was found in Western Ky, Northeastern Trigg County, Kentucky, USA. This is primarily a Mississipian Era site.

PetrolPete

That is interesting. Cool color too, Part of it looks kind of like a conglomerate, maybe it could be a coprolite?

KyWahine

That is interesting. Cool color too, Part of it looks kind of like a conglomerate, maybe it could be a coprolit

I wonder... lol. I'm laughing because it would be just like me to bring home something super cool and it turn out to be dinosaur dung. :rofl:

I would like to know what the black or grayish crystals are that coat this fossil. Any ideas?

Edited by KyWahine

Herb

Possible weathered fish bone?

Herb

I think it is a Lyropora bryozoan segment.

KyWahine

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/25791-bryozoa-from-mississippian/

Thanks Herb :) I think your right. I found this pdf article that was posted on another information forum on thefossilforum site. It was posted by xonenine. The article is very informative and this fossil fits! Wow... awesome!

Herb

Glad I could help :D