Need Help On A Couple N Sulphur River Finds

MFowler

I "think" the tooth may be a Mosasaur tooth that's split in two but I may be fooling myself so please tell me what you think. All I know about the bone is that it's bone and it's big :-) No idea from what or what kind of bone it is so again, please chime in with your opinion.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark

P.S. I have a lot more pics of stuff found at the NSR in my gallery I can't identify so if you like identifying things I sure would appreciate the help. I've been doing this since March this year and I'm getting pretty good at finding things, but still struggle identifying...but I'm gettin there :-)

post-11298-0-15106900-1369941829_thumb.jpg

post-11298-0-39881400-1369941832_thumb.jpg

post-11298-0-24646300-1369941834_thumb.jpg

post-11298-0-93370600-1369941835_thumb.jpg

post-11298-0-61428000-1369941837_thumb.jpg

post-11298-0-17424500-1369941840_thumb.jpg

post-11298-0-13334200-1369941843_thumb.jpg

post-11298-0-65334300-1369941845_thumb.jpg

Edited by MFowler

Bone is a tumbled Mos. vert, the black object is a split Mos. tooth, not uncommon to find half a tooth----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Bone is a tumbled Mos. vert, the black object is a split Mos. tooth,I not uncommon to find half a tooth----Tom

I was hoping they were Mosasaur :-) Thanks Tom

Not that you need a second opinion, but I agree with Tom.

Not that you need a second opinion, but I agree with Tom.

Hey...I'll take all the opinions I can get. Thanks

I have the other half or one just like it. Someday...I'm going to find that pristine whole drop tooth

I have the other half or one just like it. Someday...I'm going to find that pristine whole drop tooth

I would love to find a whole tooth! I may have some other Mosasaur teeth but I haven't verified yet in my gallery. I'm new at this (since March) and still in the "it's something...just keep it and figure out what it is later" stage of the hobby/addiction :-) By the way, what is a 'drop tooth'? I'm guessing it's one of the longer canine type teeth?

A drop tooth is a shed tooth. 99% of the teeth that come out of the NSR are drop teeth. I have exactly 1 tooth with the associated root and part of the jaw. It just happens to be Globidens.

Rooted teeth are a result of death.

Edited by Boneman007

A drop tooth is a shed tooth. 99% of the teeth that come out of the NSR are drop teeth. I have exactly 1 tooth with the associated root and part of the jaw. It just happens to be Globidens.

Rooted teeth are a result of death.

Gotcha...good to know. Thanks Boneman

All of the Mosasaur teeth I've found up to this point are broken. There were quite a few broken ones with that pile of mosasaur bones trentonmon found on Monday. I excavated one with a partial root on it. I hope theres some complete ones found in the clean up. I tend to find just the inner cores of mosasaur teeth lately in the eagleford. But hey...if you are out looking you have a chance and I will be out looking somewhere this weekend.

All of the Mosasaur teeth I've found up to this point are broken. There were quite a few broken ones with that pile of mosasaur bones trentonmon found on Monday. I excavated one with a partial root on it. I hope theres some complete ones found in the clean up. I tend to find just the inner cores of mosasaur teeth lately in the eagleford. But hey...if you are out looking you have a chance and I will be out looking somewhere this weekend.

Where in the Eagleford? Not location, zone.

I have found 2 drop teeth before this week. 1 is split in half like yours, the other is smaller with some of the outer layer missing.

The teeth I found Monday, 1 with root, but tip is broken, 1 w/o root, tip broken. The rest are still in the jawbone, broken off at the gum line. 2 very small teeth, looks like they were just coming in.

Always remember and never forget, no matter where you go, there you are.

It's all in the numbers. The more you go the more chance you have of finding one. Good luck!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

It was good to meet you today. Hope you find a good mos tooth soon. Good luck on all your future hunts.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

It was good to meet you today. Hope you find a good mos tooth soon. Good luck on all your future hunts.

Great meeting you as well. I've been wondering when I'd run into someone on this forum out there. I see the mosa tooth you were telling me about in your profile pic...that's amazing! I'm sure I'll see ya out there again sometime...happy hunting :-)