Sign in to follow this  
Kratos

Sharktooth Hill, Ca

Kratos

I'll be traveling to Southern Cali for Thanksgiving and was wondering if anyone knows directions to a public area to fossil hunt in the Sharktooth Hill formation near Bakersfield.

makoken
I'll be traveling to Southern Cali for Thanksgiving and was wondering if anyone knows directions to a public area to fossil hunt in the Sharktooth Hill formation near Bakersfield.

10500 Aflred Harrell hwy. across from the ca. living museum C.A.L.M. If I am off work when you go I will meet up with you and take you in .

mommabetts

Make sure and post pics when you get back.

Kratos
10500 Aflred Harrell hwy. across from the ca. living museum C.A.L.M. If I am off work when you go I will meet up with you and take you in .

That would be awsome if you could come. Heres the plan right now. The girlfriend and I are going to L.A. for Thanksgiving to meet with family. We are going to swing by Bakersfield on the way back home, on Sunday Nov. 29 for a few hours to try our luck. Probably going to be there around 8:00 in the mourning. Also if you can't make do ya have any tips for me. I've never been to this site. I'm a river and beach fossil hunter so don't know much about this type of fossiling. Tools needed, what to look for, and info on how you do it, would be much obliged.

makoken
That would be awsome if you could come. Heres the plan right now. The girlfriend and I are going to L.A. for Thanksgiving to meet with family. We are going to swing by Bakersfield on the way back home, on Sunday Nov. 29 for a few hours to try our luck. Probably going to be there around 8:00 in the mourning. Also if you can't make do ya have any tips for me. I've never been to this site. I'm a river and beach fossil hunter so don't know much about this type of fossiling. Tools needed, what to look for, and info on how you do it, would be much obliged.

I'll try to get out there sunday. As it gets closer I'll be able to let you know. If not. A rock hammer, small shovel, and a screen. If you can't get these items you could walk thru checking out the tailings for missed teeth. They always seem to weather out mostly small ones that were missed.The bone layer is about a foot thick, when walking the trenches you can't miss it. Hope to see you out there!

Kratos
I'll try to get out there sunday. As it gets closer I'll be able to let you know. If not. A rock hammer, small shovel, and a screen. If you can't get these items you could walk thru checking out the tailings for missed teeth. They always seem to weather out mostly small ones that were missed.The bone layer is about a foot thick, when walking the trenches you can't miss it. Hope to see you out there!

Gettin Ready to take off for L.A. I'll be checking the forum on Saturday to see if you can make the trip. Hope to see ya there.

Kratos

Anyone else who will be in the area is more than welcome to join. Info is above for times and location.

makoken
Anyone else who will be in the area is more than welcome to join. Info is above for times and location.

I am off this weekend. So I will be going. We have had a lot of rain, so I'm not sure how the conditions will be. I'm planning on going saturday for a full day, and will be there sunday for the first half of the day. I drive a dark green jeep commander with TX plates. I will park where you have to hike in. I will also leave my phone # in the window if you would like to call, when you arrive. Hope to see you on sunday !!!!!!!

tracer

ok, kratos, look, when you get there, get makoken's phone number off the jeep and post it on this thread, and we'll ALL call him and say, "hi, this is so-and-so from the fossil forum - whatcha findin' so far? hmm?"

actually, you could call and say, "hey, i'm over here in the trench about 600 yards to the SSE of you, and i'm finding killer giant makos! hurry over here!"

actually, don't do anything i suggest, ever. i don't want to get jammed up with the california communications consortium. i've heard if you mess with them, they'll smack you with bean sprouts and tofu, and i don't need that kind of grief. heck it's bad enough living just a couple of hours from austin.

TyrannosaurusRex

is this place still open to collecting?

DD1991

How did Sharktooth Hill get its name? Was it because fossilized shark teeth were the first fossils found at Sharktooth Hill?

DD1991

One of several cetaceans found at Sharktooth Hill, Peripolocetus vexillifer, has been recently identified as one of the oldest relatives of the bowhead and right whales.The site has also yielded the extinct walrus Pelagiarctos.