One Kilo Stone 'egg'?

Ceramus

Hello everybody,

Sorry for not posting first in the introductory section! I live in Romania and I'm not quite involved into fossils, if I may say so, but as a teenager I had some interest in this field - which I must admit it's more than fascinating. Later I got onto other paths but whenever I go to the great outdoors I keep an eye out for any interesting geological things like curious rocks and pebbles etc.

Last summer I went in a short trip to a certain hilly area north of my hometown. As it was a new place for me I went exploring around. Bordering a river there was an eroded hillside with some limestone slabs and pieces fallen downhill. I can never resist scouting such areas with debris so I took a close look and noticed that while all the stones were more or less 'square' in shape there was also an ovoidal shape that caught my attention. I picked it up and when I realized it's something of a more special nature I put it back on a stone near it's original spot and took a picture (please see ''Stone egg findspot'' picture - the thinner red arrow marks the ''egg'' placed on a stone and the bigger arrow marks it's original position - which is actually secondary as it fell from the hillside limestone rocks).

This stone ''egg'' looks like an ovoidal piece of limestone-based rock with a wider base and a narrower top, height almost 10 cm, maximum diameter ~8 cm, weight 1.006 kg (on my kitchen scale). Some orange iron oxide is visible on its surface. I made some close-up pics, sorry for the low quality. What I find interesting is that the domed top doesn't have an egg-like, relatively circular curving, but at some point it gets some angle. Also towards the base of the egg there are two big and one small areas of flatness, like at some point the object was soft and deformed as it was pressed by other objects nearby (see the close-ups). I can't tell if there is any special surface texture, I can't see, I guess, anything like pores or such but I am not trained in this field.

Please help me with your opinion: could this be a fossil or is simply some kind of geological concretion looking like an egg?! Thank you in advance!

post-12049-0-06233600-1370010593_thumb.jpg

post-12049-0-41242600-1370012240_thumb.jpg

post-12049-0-96785000-1370012242_thumb.jpg

post-12049-0-15033400-1370012245_thumb.jpg

post-12049-0-35667300-1370012247_thumb.jpg

post-12049-0-16019700-1370012250_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ceramus

It does appear to be geological, and is likely a concretion.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would say geological as well.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks