Cidarid Echinoid Id For A Friend

LanceH

I'm posting for a friend who purchased this "cidarid" from a collector that found it recently at a locality in the Weno formation (c. 98-99 mya) in Tarrant county, Texas.

I'm thinking it's "Phyllacanthus" (and not "Stereocidaris") just going off pictures in books but I'd like some opinions from actual knowlegable people on which this is.

"Phyllacanthus" and "Stereocidaris" are the two genuses most associated with the big cidarids around here but if there's other possibilities I'd like to know. Can someone list the easy-to-see differences between those two genuses?

post-11-0-24528300-1370102670_thumb.jpg post-11-0-54390000-1370102686_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-52869900-1370102700_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-41342500-1370102715_thumb.jpg

That is a stunning find. I can't imagine selling it if I found it.

I'm inclined to agree with you about it being a Phyllacanthus species. However, these finds are so rare in Texas, there are not a lot of comparable specimens. If you can still get in touch with Mike Murphy, I think he would be your best bet for a more definitive ID.

Here is a plate from the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology, Part U, vol. 1. Based on other notations, I've added the ID in blue. Notice the interambulacral plates on the aboral side without tubercles.

post-420-0-82400700-1370108011_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I can't help you, but here are 2 pics of my recent Phyllacanthus imperialis from Philippines.

Aboral side :

34owkf7.jpg

Oral side :

fnbyu1.jpg

Hope this help.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Beautiful!! both the fossil and the recent ones. :wub:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

i would sell my furniture before selling that heirloom find.

• Enjoyed 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I find myself returning to this post again and again just to have another look at these incredible fossils. Just breathtakingly beautiful to me.:)