New Rare Lichid From Morocco Joined My Collection Today

trilobiteruss

Thought you would enjoy this upper Lower Ordovician lichid from near Alnif Morocco that arrived today from my good friend Malek.

It turns out that while this resembles Uralichas (and out of 4 or 5 others found have been called in past Uralichas sp?) it is much older (former is Upper Ordovician) and this critter is from upper part of the Lower Ordovician NE of Zagora (near Alnif). So it has been described and is in review/press by Dr. Joan A. Vela from Spain, he told me:

Dear Russ,

Joan Corbacho sent me your mail. I am going to publish a paper about this trilobite. Now this paper is with the referees and will be eventualy published. If you want I can send you a pdf when published. This trilobite is a new genus and species: Nanolichas parvus VELA. By the way, the formation is Schistes des Fezouata supérieurs and the age is Arenig/Floian (Lower Ordovician).

Best wishes.

Dr. Joan A. Vela

Nanolichas parvus VELA in press, gen. nov. and sp. nov
Order Lichida, Family Lichidae
Schistes supérieurs des Fezouata Formation (Upper Fezouata)
Arenig/Floian Age
Lower Ordovician
Dra Valley, near Zagora Morocco

More in next post too big to upload

EDIT: Images removed by topic starter

And for the fun of this I got photos from the original preparation of the specimen which are kind of neat in terms of the provenance of preparation!

Final photo after preparation:

Thanks, I feel I have been blessed with the chance to take care of these cool fossils for a bit of time geologically, while I am here, love sharing.

Very cool specimen and I like how you got the photos of the prep too. Really does convince you that it's not a fake or extensively restored.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Very cool specimen and I like how you got the photos of the prep too. Really does convince you that it's not a fake or extensively restored.

Yes and the guy who prepared it told me he was doing that to help show people that these specimens are real. But the source is also important. Malek is a good friend and trusted source of quality material!!!!

I have found that by getting my Moroccan material from people like Malek I never had gotten a fake or highly restored specimen

Russ

hello Russ, wonderful specimen. Please drop me an email address, today I will send some photos of you I toke at maps :)

I gave you my email in PM, I forgot you were just across from us at MAPS! Those pics would be nice! Thanks!

That is a killer specimen, grats!

Thanks Caleb, it sure is, could not pass it up.

It seems to me that in most faunas the lichids are a smaller, rarer component. I have looked around to see any discussion of this in literature but not found it yet. They are all special bugs and so rare just makes them even more special to me! :)

russ

Nice one... it looks like it has a real nasty 'stinger' at the rear end!

Good that he provided prep photos, and the job is not bad but I don't understand why they have to scratch the whole top surface of the rock.. why not just remove what needs to be removed to expose the trilo?

Nice one... it looks like it has a real nasty 'stinger' at the rear end!

Good that he provided prep photos, and the job is not bad but I don't understand why they have to scratch the whole top surface of the rock.. why not just remove what needs to be removed to expose the trilo?

What this Moroccan preparator told me was that he had no airbrasive tools. He just had the hand tools and the air scribe/chisle (pneumatic engraving units )

tools (such as the Paleo Tools air scribes like these... http://www.paleotools.com/which_airscribe.html ) to do his work. So he did those scratches first to work into the specimen and chip off the matrix over it. He had a method to his preparation and removing the matrix. The final result is a very nice trilobite in my own view.

russ

So you would need the air abrasive to do a better job?

I know for the spiny trilobites one is a necessity, I think this guy though from the specimens of his I have seen he does an amazing job with out one. In the case of this type of trilobite in these sandy Ordovician units it was not necessary and I am not sure it would have made too much of a difference. Those pneumatic tools are pretty useful from what I have seen in removing matrix. They have all kinds of head sizes from larger to smaller so you can do alot with them.

russ

Just a comment Trilobit... when a paper is in referees hands is not yet "in press", since the paper is reviewed and accepted by the editor and after communication of him it can be considered in press.

Why I'm saying that? because is not considered too correct to publish the new fossils names before they has been published.

In some cases, even it could invalidate the publication.

Kindest regards

:)

BTW nice addition to your collection ! ;)

• 11 months later...

Nice specimen. I'm trying to acquire some rare trilobites from Morocco, however I feel that forgery is a common business among Moroccan trilobite dealers. As a matter of fact, someone from Morocco on facebook provided with a photo of the exact trilo you have as being available, imagine!!! Since you suggest Malik is trustworthy, does he Have a facebook account I can reach him at?

Thanks

Nice specimen. I'm trying to acquire some rare trilobites from Morocco, however I feel that forgery is a common business among Moroccan trilobite dealers. As a matter of fact, someone from Morocco on facebook provided with a photo of the exact trilo you have as being available, imagine!!! Since you suggest Malik is trustworthy, does he Have a facebook account I can reach him at?

Thanks

Malek is a member of the Forum. M.Youssef.

Send him a Private Message, or email him off list.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks

Interesting some one is using the photo of this specimen found and preped by my friend Aziz and purchased thru Malek. I am not surprised this happens unfortunately. Last few years at Tucson they have started being reluctant to let me take photos of specimens for sale at various sites for same reason. People are taking pictures of special specimens at Tucson and then saying they have the specimen or something or pretending to be the person selling the specimen -- at different address of course -- kinda an identity theft of a kind. The dealer who really has it of course sold at show and then when people do not get the specimen from the photo/scammer they get grief. So one dealer told me I could not take pictures of specimens -- except what I bought to share anywhere else.

Malek has FB account also but as pointed out he is also on here. He is a good friend and you would be satisfied with material he provides at reasonable prices also.

Russ

Just a comment Trilobit... when a paper is in referees hands is not yet "in press", since the paper is reviewed and accepted by the editor and after communication of him it can be considered in press.

Why I'm saying that? because is not considered too correct to publish the new fossils names before they has been published.

In some cases, even it could invalidate the publication.

Kindest regards

BTW nice addition to your collection ! ;)

Yes that is true, thank you for pointing that out. I thought it was in press when Joan sent that to me. But it also turned out that that name was taken by some other fossil so in final review (and published officially last year) it was changed to

Parvilichas marochii Corbacho and Vela (2013)
Order LICHIDA Moore, 1959
Superfamily LICHOIDEA sensu Fortey (Fortey in Kaesler 1997)
Family LICHIDAE Hawle & Corda, 1847
Subfamily LICHINAE Hawle & Corda, 1847
Tribe DICRANOPELTINI Phleger, 1936 Genus Parvilichas n. gen.
Arenig/Floian Age
Thanks it is special.

Thanks

Oh also if you have some particular rare specimens in mind you can ask Malek, with Aziz and other diggers/preparators he has some good contacts in the Erfoud and Alnif area that can provide you with quality specimens. Aziz who is also on FB is one of the suppliers Malek gets his material from and there are some quality specimens you can get from these sources which are genuine. Malek has been a valuable member here on FB, often sharing new material he finds for ID as well. I think you will find doing business with him a good choice. I have been very pleased.

Russ

Yes that is true, thank you for pointing that out. I thought it was in press when Joan sent that to me. But it also turned out that that name was taken by some other fossil so in final review (and published officially last year) it was changed to

Parvilichas marochii Corbacho and Vela (2013)
Order LICHIDA Moore, 1959
Superfamily LICHOIDEA sensu Fortey (Fortey in Kaesler 1997)
Family LICHIDAE Hawle & Corda, 1847
Subfamily LICHINAE Hawle & Corda, 1847
Tribe DICRANOPELTINI Phleger, 1936 Genus Parvilichas n. gen.
Arenig/Floian Age
Thanks it is special.

If it were in press the name could not be changed.

Don't worry Russ, it was not your fault but from Joan... perhaps he was a little bit precipitated in this case... the author's pride ;).

I repeat nice specimen !

Best wishes

Archived