Saharan Insect

dtreacher

Hope someone can help to identify this insect. It was picked up in the Western Sahara in Morocco and measures 7cm from head to the end of the body. It appears to have large wings. The picture is a little indistinct due to restricted file size but hope someone could help with identification and age.

Many thanks

David

post-11665-0-47117400-1370504994_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but I am not seeing an insect fossil here.

Insect fossils are usually imprint or compression fossils, and not so 3 dimensional.

To me, it looks like some kind of geologic oddity, maybe similar to a Septarian nodule.

Maybe others will weigh in.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

To me, it does look to be the product of geology, not biology.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi dtreacher,

Sorry, I agree with the other members that this is not an insect fossil. :(

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

This might be what some folks call a "pseudo fossil"? It sorta looks like one but really isn't.

Thank you gentleman for all your comments and help. What surprises me is that I can see what looks like a typical head with large eyes and then a thorax with what looks like joints. Would anyone be prepared to reconsider on the basis of a closer photo? This is not to doubt the experts' opinions (well .....perhaps a small hint of a question mark) ?

But thank you in advance.

David

There does appear to be some interesting crystalization that formed along filled fractures.

Context is critical.

What you see are suggestive shapes formed by minerals along cracks in the rock; when you scrutinize them carefully (and critically), their true nature resolves itself. The similarity to an insect ends with the details.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What dos the back side of the rock look like? Does it have similar lines and patterns that are less insect-like? Cuz, I agre with all the others... this is gelogic not biologic.

Insects are soft bodied critters, and except in amber are rarely found 3-dimensionally.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Yes, those appear to be what are known as "Liesegang bands". Common natural features in many sedimentary and metamorphic rocks.

• I found this Informative 2

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Thank you all.

JPC, you asked some questions about the rock. On close examination, I can see that this object comprises a rock and on top, where the 'imprint' is, is a layer of something that looks like it would have been mud (it doesn't cover the whole top surface so you can see that it is only a few mm thick.) But the imprint still partially protrudes above the mud layer

So having read all your comments that soft bodied insects, and insects generally, are not found as 3 dimensional objects I would doubt assume that this is mineralogical. I will take your advice and retire gracefully.

Many thanks and a great Forum