Hesperornis Skull Model

xonenine

the first skull I am modeling in plaster, Hesperornis. I wanted to use the most generic materials I could work with, this model is aluminum screen and plaster. The model has had 3 applications of plaster at this point, after a little more hardening I will start thinning down the skull some more. This is the upper jaw, the teeth will be made from model kit sprue, thanks to this interesting thread http://imaginosaurus.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/how-to-make-pterosaur-teeth-from-a-plastic-hanger/, though I think it will be even easier to just whittle the sprue and cut them off one at a time, w/o heat or stretching...

anyway, I will post more pics as I refine the upper jaw and start the lower jaws, have fun :)

Carmine

post-4577-0-32500400-1370734221_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-41839700-1370734227_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-58299500-1370734232_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-17292100-1370734236_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-02596200-1370734241_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Wow, talk about ambitious. That looks like a hard skull to carve, but you're off to a great start. When it is done are you going to make a silicone mold and kick out a few copies?

thanks Gus, I think I will ask someone here at the forum to do the casts, if my skulls end up acceptable... :) Too many learning curves...

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

You're really doing it! Man, I'm impressed with your skill and gumption. Looks great so far!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanks Chas, KFH, I have 3 hours in I'd say, and that is with a false start, a mesh I didn't like and recut, I would like to be able to keep the hours down, with short but productive periods :)

Hey where's the interior detail??? Just kidding! Looks great so far ready to see what those teeth are gona look like

Looking good, Carmine. :)

I'm not surprised at all, with how good it is coming out.

Your artistic juices are flowing with this one. ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

thanks Tim, Dozer... :) yeah, you know I want to do the interior details, I am lucky with this skull, lots of ventral views are available, and there are some real tiny bones I won't model in till the end, 'cause I would no doubt break them off at this point still...

and after all these years of carving wood or stone, it is nice to work with a medium that if it breaks, or needs redone, you just reapply! Very forgiving and relaxing, compared to the wood :)

thanks lormouth!

I have cut and poured the lower jaws, and started refining the upper skull :)

post-4577-0-66518300-1370875247_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-31115400-1370875277_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-76536600-1370875282_thumb.jpg

thanks KFH, it is starting to have a pleasing bone sound even, and curing more... :)

several shots of the progress, soon I will be able to start the teeth...

Having no suitable model sprue was my excuse to go buy a model (polar Lights Robby the Robot) for the tooth material... :)

I would say I have about 5.5 hours in this skull now

post-4577-0-22118000-1371415376_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-70452000-1371415449_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

thanks Kris they are thinned down considerably, I will post them again next. :)

thanks Jim! you know, I had thought this would be a subtractive model at first, make a big cone, whittle it out, but it seems a lot more additive, which is fun w the plaster, and another thing I can't do w other mediums I like to use. And it was an excuse for a new tool set, hehe, I hadn't had a need for "Rifflers", but they are ideal for this, and today, thinking about minimizing the sanding, as you say, I bought a sure-form sander, or "cheese grater". They are big and bulky, even the mini sure forms, I can see just cutting some replacement sure form screens to size as needed

currently I do the roughing with a "four in hand" file, or sanding sponges, though sponges clog a little too fast, sheet rock sanding screens are also in order... :)

Carmine

Edited by xonenine

Enjoying watching your work in progress, Carmine.. Better you than me. :D:P

Welcome to the forum!

thanks Roz, I think the ease of mixing a batch of plaster sometimes gives me a false sense of security, other times, trying to orient 3D objects in my head from drawings, I feel like I am clueless... :)

thanks Jim! you know, I had thought this would be a subtractive model at first, make a big cone, whittle it out, but it seems a lot more additive, which is fun w the plaster, and another thing I can't do w other mediums I like to use. And it was an excuse for a new tool set, hehe, I hadn't had a need for "Rifflers", but they are ideal for this, and today, thinking about minimizing the sanding, as you say, I bought a sure-form sander, or "cheese grater". They are big and bulky, even the mini sure forms, I can see just cutting some replacement sure form screens to size as needed

currently I do the roughing with a "four in hand" file, or sanding sponges, though sponges clog a little too fast, sheet rock sanding screens are also in order... :)

Carmine

yep we used to use a lot of sure form rifflers and rasps when I was in sculpture class. Just make sure you clean your tools extra good: nothing causes metal to corrode and rust faster than plaster.

• I found this Informative 1

• 6 months later...

thanks LT! I have some progress to show soon since last time, not as much as I'd like :)

and I made a goad/treat for myself to get back to work on this, from a salvaged thrift store frame, some glass, and a nice H.regalis print.

I'd call him H.handsomi, in this formal attire :)

post-4577-0-16575800-1388368250_thumb.jpg