Mike Owens

Digital Camera

Mike Owens

My current camera is an Nikon CoolPix 4800. It's 4.0MP with a .4 macro. I get fairly good photos, but not quite as sharp as I want. What would be the best combination of MP & macro camera to get for the money (as in cheap! :) I'm not hung up on brand names so I'm open to change if need be. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated! : )

Thanks

ebrocklds

mike,

not that i need to mention it again but i am sold on the pentax optio. i love it. it is very easy to use and i can take macros w/ flash of moving insects or other animals and they come out very clear. check this out.

the bird i was able to catch. that is how i got so close. (he ran into a window and was dazed for a few hours)

2007121107313376.JPG

2007121107311640.JPG

2007121107314111.JPG

2007121107311605.JPG

Gatorman

Awesome pictures!

ebrocklds

thanks anson,

just so you know there has been no editing other that rotating and sizing. these are straight off the camera.

brock

Gatorman

and which camera was this? the s7?

ebrocklds

yes anson it is the s7 model.

i did a quick search and found them for well under $200 brand new.

here is one of the links to a online store

http://www.plemix.com/camera-pentax-s7-camera

Gatorman

Very Nice ;)

Mike Owens
mike,

not that i need to mention it again but i am sold on the pentax optio. i love it. it is very easy to use and i can take macros w/ flash of moving insects or other animals and they come out very clear. check this out.

the bird i was able to catch. that is how i got so close. (he ran into a window and was dazed for a few hours)

2007121107313376.JPG

2007121107311640.JPG

2007121107314111.JPG

2007121107311605.JPG

Brock,

I replied to your other post today. Will look for one tonight.

Thanks again,

Mike

ebrocklds

mike,

don't rush into buying one just because i tlike it so much. there may be another one that better suits your need for less money. i really don't know. i have not used any other cameras enough to know if they are better. although i am thrilled with mine i don't want you to buy something that isn't right for you.

but, in the case you do buy one like mine, i highly suggest an altoids mint tin for the case. it is hard, fits perfect, and best of all it is very very cheap. you will need to press a small dimple in the can to make room for the decoartive bump on the front of the camera. (i just pushed on it with my thumb and it works perfectly)

good luck and i hope you find something that you like.

brock

Mike Owens
mike,

don't rush into buying one just because i tlike it so much. there may be another one that better suits your need for less money. i really don't know. i have not used any other cameras enough to know if they are better. although i am thrilled with mine i don't want you to buy something that isn't right for you.

but, in the case you do buy one like mine, i highly suggest an altoids mint tin for the case. it is hard, fits perfect, and best of all it is very very cheap. you will need to press a small dimple in the can to make room for the decoartive bump on the front of the camera. (i just pushed on it with my thumb and it works perfectly)

good luck and i hope you find something that you like.

brock

I bought my Nikon expressly to take photos of fossils. It does ok, but the .4 macro doesn't focus close enough to suit. I want to be able to photogrph a a flea on a gnat's behind. :)

Gatorman

Mike i don't think gnat's have flea's, mites maybe but not flea's :P

Mike Owens
Mike i don't think gnat's have flea's, mites maybe but not flea's :P

Anson -- Thanks for the correction. I really couldn't tell for sure. That's one of the the reasons I need a better macro. --- Mike :ahah3:

JimInAugusta

The camera that I loved but killed in the Okefenokee was an older ~2 Mega pixel Nikon Coolpix. I chose it in the store on a whim after taking a macro photo of my watch that seemed unbelievable at the time. I have been trying to justify a new camera (we have two that work) and have been eyeing a water proof Olympus and a Pentax. The accolades given here concerning the Pentax for taking macros seems to push me towards a Pentax. The Pentax optio w30 will likely be purchased in January because of better macro samples, standardized memory card and lower price. The Olympus is shockproof but is $100 more, seems to take poorer macros and uses a non standard memory card.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default...entax+optio+w30

http://www.digicamreview.com/olympus_mju_7...ylus_review.htm

It is nice to have choices isnt it?

Jim

Gatorman

Ooo :o waterproof, but is the macro as good?

JimInAugusta

The samples in the reviews I have read/looked at least as sweet as my old Nikon Coolpix. I do A LOT of kayaking and so really want a camera that does both macro and on the water action pictures. It was the humidity in the swamp that killed the Coolpix so a sealed camera should help eliminate this problem. With a silicone slip cover around it the camera should be reasonably insulated against bumps.

81rgylf.jpg

Found this guy in my reef tank. He hitchhiked in on some rock. Like the blue fangs? He did some damage so I brought him to the local reef store. He became dinner for a big trigger fish. C'est la vie...

Jim

Gatorman

Hahaha poor crab.

Xiphactinus

I use an Olympus E-300.

It's a little more expensive, but it is an SLR and you can add lenses. Right now, I just have the standard that the body came with, but the macro setting is nice.

Here's a nice, but tiny Kansas tooth

post-98-1197607689_thumb.jpg

fossil man

that is an awesome picture of the cedar waxwing (bird) especially of its eye

geofossil

good info from the posts above.

I'm not very camera savy. I still prefer my $49 AGFA flat bed scanner for close ups of individual specimens. It gives a lot of detail with no fuss....such as these shark teeth:

post-69-1198707712_thumb.jpg

I can even put large specimens on it as long as they fit (such as this hadrosaur vertebra and process:

post-69-1198707893_thumb.jpg

but then when thing don't fit on to the scanner or are too bulky (or on a trip) then I use a NIKON 5400 Coolpix on macro. However, I'm not much of a photographer. This is a hadrosaur I took a photo of a couple days ago....it is in our basement and flash used:

post-69-1198708166_thumb.jpg

Outdoors you can get quite detailed photos of insect wings, wildflowers, etc.

If for use to take photos of specimens collected then I like the scanner. For much more versatility then the digital camera is useful.

PrehistoricFlorida

Go Sony, you'll never consider another camera. Hands down, best macro. Also have incredible warranties that will repair or replace cameras after water damage (personal experience). I've bought three Sony's, two 5 MP and one 7.5 MP, all are incredible.

Mike Owens
Go Sony, you'll never consider another camera. Hands down, best macro. Also have incredible warranties that will repair or replace cameras after water damage (personal experience). I've bought three Sony's, two 5 MP and one 7.5 MP, all are incredible.

What's the macro rating on them?

PrehistoricFlorida

I don't know where to find that...

Shuko

I also want to get a nice digital cam that will both allow me to take good in situ photos as well as nice fossil shots. I'm interested in photographing microfossils too. Will that Pentax you recommended do the trick? What would I need to compensate, if not? I'm really not in the market for a digital SLR... that's a little out of my price range, and besides, I'd be too afraid to take it out in the field. :P

Guest solius symbiosus

Currently, I am using a Nikon S51. It is 8.1 mpix, but my dream camera is a Canon 20Da DSLR. Probably, my next camera will be a monochrome of some sort that I can use with my other hobby. Something like one of THESE, if I could only afford it.

ebrocklds

the pentax optio takes nice everyday photos and the macro will fill the frame with just larger than a 1 cm square. if you want to take smaller pictures than that you will need a much better camera with macro lenses, or a microsope with a digital camera mount. ( which is my dream)

good luck with you search

Brock