Early Morning Galena Hunt

Caleb

On Saturday, June 8th, I was going to meet forum member Bev at around 8:30am to pick up a rare trilobite and help ID some other stuff and do a little collecting. I had a wedding to get to that afternoon and the weather for Sunday did not look good at all so I left home a little early to get some extra collecting time in. I left home at 5am and was on the rocks right around 6:30. I had originally wanted to hit a Maquoketa Formation site, but the hwy was under construction with long detours so I stopped at a cut in the Galena formation I hadn't been to in a while.

Here is my (poor) attempt at making a panoramic shot of the site:

post-3840-0-37164600-1370804171_thumb.jpg

At the bottom of the cut lies the Cummingsville Formation that has thick shale beds between sections of limestone. Lots of brachs, horn corals, and bryozoan can be found loose in the shale beds.

post-3840-0-26799200-1370804175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caleb

While there I picked up 2 pieces. The first was a hash plate full of fun stuff and quite exciting for me. The trilobite I had come down to pick up from Bev is a rather rare one, a Celtencrinurus spicitus. In the 35+ years (father) and 18 years (me) we have been collecting this area we have only found two parts of this trilobite between us. My father had found a free-cheek a while ago and I found a cephalon last year. I can say I was taken by surprise when I found another cephalon. Not only that, but there were 6 other parts of the rare bug on the plate!

(annotated plate on next post)

post-3840-0-25227900-1370804739_thumb.jpg

I also found a laid out Anataphrus borreaus, which doesn't happen very often, they are quite often enrolled.

post-3840-0-91991300-1370804732_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caleb

The labels didn't come through, just the numbers. I would LOVE a copy of this pic with the labels!

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Nice hash, Caleb! That crinoid is sweet!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

After putting the slab under a scope, I realized I had some things misidentified and some things I had missed all together. Here is the final annotated photo with 13 different species of trilobites represented, some of which are not recorded as being in the Galena Formation(but are found in similar aged formations elsewhere).

post-3840-0-92069700-1371053902_thumb.jpg

That's just ridiculous! Thirteen species of trilobites?!

Veritable Mulligan Stew!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am shocked at the diversity of trilobites on this plate. Right now we have 28 species in our fauna list and the fact that 13 of them reside on this one plate is amazing! 3 specimens on this plate are not in our fauna list, so now the count is 31. I guess it's time to update my website...

Another very nice thing about this piece is that this plate came out of the bedding plane, it was not in float. The Cummingsville/Galena contact is exposed at this site, so I will be able to take a measurement and document exactly how many feet/meters above the Cummingsville/Galena contact this slab was collected.

• I found this Informative 1

Boy you must have a good eye to see all that! Still it appears that you missed a trilo pygidium between the green 'ones' and 'fours' near the top.

Edited by Wrangellian

Boy you must have a good eye to see all that! Still it appears that you missed a trilo pygidium between the green 'ones' and 'fours' near the top.

Yup, there's a few on there I didn't mark, I got lazy... That one in particular is a Calyptaulax pygidium and should be marked #5 with the cephalon to the south-east.

Nice trip report.

I'd hit the brakes if I saw those interbedded limestones and shales. :)

Context is critical.

• 3 weeks later...