Reached For A Gastropod Pulled Put A Ammonite I Think

toren

I found this ysterday in a stream that runs through the Navesink formation in Holmdel,NJ ....I was walking up the stream in an area that I find lots of gast and bivalves at...I saw the knuckels(lack of better word) just at the surface of the gravel bar.I thought wow a nice gastropod but to my surprise I pulled out thispost-11484-0-83161500-1371305038_thumb.jpgpost-11484-0-71664300-1371305051_thumb.jpgpost-11484-0-38711000-1371305061_thumb.jpg

post-11484-0-08765600-1371305345_thumb.jpgI had asked a friend about this and he said the two things on the one side is throwing him off....so if anyone can point me in the right direction... I would be so grateful

Looks like you have got part of a broken bone and the two things would be at one end or like a leg/arm bone.

It took me a while to resolve the three-dimensional nature of this piece.

I wonder whether it might be the unfused end of a metatarsus from an immature artiodactyl?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

ah ur right it does have bone structure..its been on the counter for 24 hours and still not dry..but last nite when it was really wet i couldn't see it and it has lost most of its weight now..um i see no breaks a little stream wear on some points but no breaks that i can see lol...some much for the hour i wasted looking at ammonites...now where to go from here

hummm yeah its from a area that has a high deer population in fact i see them most times im there

yep thank u guys.. ur right on with that... in fact i think auspex nailed it to a tee...ty again

Archived