sward

Geology/stratigraphy/paleo Website - Macrostrat.org

sward

While doing some research on the web this morning, I ran across this website:

http://macrostrat.org/

Just poking around on this website for a while, it looks like it could become a valuable resource, at least for me. By clicking on the "Advanced Search" button, the following screen appears:

post-6450-0-42676600-1371400124_thumb.jpg

Enter a group or formation name in the "Unit Name" block and click search pulls up this screen:

post-6450-0-98568300-1371400746_thumb.jpg

Rather than entering a group/formation name, you can click on the "complete list" link next to the "Unit Name" block. This retrieves a list of all the group/formations they have in their database. When you click on one of the group/formations, it retrieves this screen that includes a chart at the bottom of the page that shows the "Hierarchy of Stratigraphic Nomenclature" that shows how the formation aligns in the group.

post-6450-0-56077400-1371404635_thumb.jpg

The blue dots that appear on the map represent fossil collections that have been made from the formation/group, etc. Clicking on one of the blue dots links to the Paleobiology Database website (http://paleodb.geology.wisc.edu), which I assume most of you are aware of. Once there, you can review the list of taxon collected or the geology info, etc.

Edited by sward

Bullsnake

Nice!

Thanks for posting. I'll check this out more...maybe it will help my (slow) learning process. :)

sward

Nice!

Thanks for posting. I'll check this out more...maybe it will help my (slow) learning process. :)

Your learning process can't be any slower than mine. The more I research and try to learn, the more I realize how much of a dummy I really am.

Auspex

Wow...gold mine! Thanks!

Ludwigia

Thanks very much! Looks quite useful.