Carboniferous Plants From France 65

docdutronc

sigillaria barks and syringodendron ,likely Sigillaria tessellata, the leave cushions are contiguous,the ribs have no relief and they are narrow ....

sigillaria barks and syringodendron ,likely Sigillaria laevigata , the leave cushions are distant between them , the ribs are wide ....

post-967-1227784292_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227784308_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227784397_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227784412_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227784446_thumb.jpg

are you sealing those specimens with something, and, if so, might i ask what?

All my fossils have a serial number and number of deposit

example 1055 T76

sample number 1055 on tip ( terril in french ) number 76

What do you use to preserve your fossils?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What do you use to preserve your fossils?

Hi Auspex

Nothing only many regards ,sometimes "hair spray" to give contrast ....

post-967-1227906562_thumb.jpg

Hi Auspex

Nothing only many regards ,sometimes "hair spray" to give contrast ....

Do you not have a problem with the shale cracking as it drys out? I know that the shale from my area starts to crack when it has been drying for a few weeks.

Do you not have a problem with the shale cracking as it drys out? I know that the shale from my area starts to crack when it has been drying for a few weeks.

Hy Mommabetts

I have no problem with red shales ,they are stable ,sometimes when a crach appears I put in cyanolit glue ...

bruno

Hy Mommabetts

I have no problem with red shales ,they are stable ,sometimes when a crach appears I put in cyanolit glue ...

bruno

A curious syringodendron the leaf cushion is soldered .....,the second sample is more classic we can see two leave cushions .....

post-967-1227978816_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227978855_thumb.jpg

A curious syringodendron the leaf cushion is soldered .....,the second sample is more classic we can see two leave cushions .....

My thinking (which has no basis in actual knowledge) is that there must be many unrecognized species of coal-swamp trees, and that description of them is complicated by the varying morphology from different parts of the same plant. Such a rich environment must have had many niches to fill...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

My thinking (which has no basis in actual knowledge) is that there must be many unrecognized species of coal-swamp trees, and that description of them is complicated by the varying morphology from different parts of the same plant. Such a rich environment must have had many niches to fill...

I find an explication to the varying morphology of the syringodendron ,the vascular bundles are single (one ) then separats in two vascular bundles ....

The circular structures on this sigillaria specimen are traces of vascular bundles (veins) that serve the leaves. The surface of this specimen has been eroded (decorticated) which results in these structures (parichnos) appearing abnormally large. Sigillaria specimens of this type are assigned to the form genus syringodendron , so the depth of the decortication explains the varying morphology of the sample ....

Bruno

Subsigillaria without rib ,in syringodendron form....

post-967-1228047413_thumb.jpg

post-967-1228047438_thumb.jpg

Erecting "form genera" is a useful step in the classification process, but can be confusing (doubly so for initiates who are not familiar with the distinction). Forum discussion has touched on this in the past, most recently in a thread about shark's tooth identification, and one about trace fossils. Casual students assume that if something has a binomial classification, it is a discrete species. I see that, especially in paleobotany, in-depth knowledge such as yours is the only route to fully understanding the ecosystem. ;)

Erecting "form genera" is a useful step in the classification process, but can be confusing (doubly so for initiates who are not familiar with the distinction). Forum discussion has touched on this in the past, most recently in a thread about shark's tooth identification, and one about trace fossils. Casual students assume that if something has a binomial classification, it is a discrete species. I see that, especially in paleobotany, in-depth knowledge such as yours is the only route to fully understanding the ecosystem. ;)

i totally agree, and i think my reasons for agreeing are sufficiently obvious that i don't need to articulate them.