Skye Find: Is This A Fossilised Bone? If So, Any Ideas What It Might Belong To?

sophieskye

Found this rock on a beach near Staffin in the Isle of Skye this weekend. It has what appears to be a small bone embedded in it, however I don't know if it actually is or what it might belong to. Also, this was my first time fossil hunting, so I would appreciate any information about who/where I should take it to if people think it might be worth someone with a bit of professional fossil knowledge looking at it!

All thoughts/ideas welcome as I'm keen to find out anything I can about it.

post-12244-0-18325200-1371552601_thumb.jpg

post-12244-0-73507300-1371552607_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum from Connecticut, USA. :)

Well, I am by no means an expert at all, but to me this looks more like a trace fossil, like an infilled burrow, rather than a bone.

That said, perhps others will weigh in.

Have any dino bones been found in the area?

Perhaps some more photos from different angles will help with determining what this is. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Sophie and welcome to the forum.

Well, although the interior of the island is mainly volcanic, Skye is an important dinosaur site (although bones are rare). It's one of the few places where there is a mid-Jurassic record. Having said that, I don't think that's a bone - dinosaur or otherwise. It looks like a sandstone concretion or perhaps a burrow infill. A better view of the end would be helpful.

The Staffin Museum at Ellishadder might be helpful if you want a hands-on opinion. If it were a dinosaur bone then that would also be a good place to report the find.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

It does look like a burrow infil.... many years ago I found something similar and thought the same thing....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)