Need Help Identifying These

tonypatino

Found these in a creek just outside of Lexington, Kentucky. Some believe that may be Bison Antiquus from the Pleistocene Epoch.post-12248-0-70112500-1371572981_thumb.jpgpost-12248-0-67750400-1371573000_thumb.jpg

A good close up of the chewing surfaces (with accurate dimensions) would be very useful to narrowing down an ID.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Certainly bovid, and the isolated stylid is suggestive, but not 100% diagnostic (by my limited understanding).

We have several serious 'bone-heads' here; hopefully they'll be around to shed some light on it. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Shouldn't this be moved to the appropriate forum?

Edited by RickNC

Shouldn't this be moved to the appropriate forum?

Yes, it will get better airplay in Fossil ID; thanks!

Auspex. I also have limited knowledge and also confusion. What does a stylid suggest? Can a modern Bos have a stylid?

I thought I saw that if a tooth does not have a Stylid, you still can not be sure it is not Bison,

What I believe is clear is that no one can distinguish between Bison Antiquus and Bison Latifrons.

Here is a set of photos for Pleistocene Bison mandible.

http://www.lakeneosho.org/Bison/index.html

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The lower jaw is a juvenile Bison/Bos, with dp2-4 and m1 in place. The loose tooth is Bison/Bos m1 or m2.

Rich

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".