Restoring Edestus Teeth

monty84

I am a southern illinois coal miner and have been finding many of the so called coal sharks teeth. Was wondering what the best way to clean them and preserve them

post-12258-0-65267400-1371625866_thumb.jpg

Oh my goodness.... :blink: I don't think I've even seen that many specimens up to this point.

I'm not sure about treating them. Some of the others should be able to give some tips.

.... And welcome to the forum.

Context is critical.

I agree, you definitely have more jaws in that picture than I have ever seen in my life! Congrats!! Is that some kind of growth on the fossils?

DO, or do not. There is no try.

I'm from the area and may be visiting soon. How about you take me out to find one? :D

If I were you, I'd seriously consider talking to a few reputable fossil dealers. They'd be better connected to have them repaired.

I would need to see them to assess the best way to preserve them for specific cleaning and stabilization, but microblasting would probably be the method of choice for cleaning, then epoxy putty for restoration, and finally a good penetrant for stabilization. These are fine and rare specimens and should be dealt with accordingly.

O.M.G. That is an incredible collection. Please be careful. That's some incredibly rare stuff there!

O.M.G. That is an incredible collection. Please be careful. That's some incredibly rare stuff there!

iven given away over 150 at least. This was in a week and a half

Give me a couple more weeks and i can double the size of this little collection. Theres only a few of us that work in my mine that know what to look for. Thats what makes it so easy for myself.

I'm from the area and may be visiting soon. How about you take me out to find one? :D

contact me through an email and we can set up the date as long as your ok with going underground

i cant figure out how to add pics beside in my profile, but this is one of the best and thickest tooth ive found in a year. it has a gold band between the tooth and jaw and the jaw has a color i havnt seen before and ive found over a hundred different jaws in past 6 months. it almost looks like petrified wood but its more of a coating. It hasnt been exposed to weathering considering the area i was in was just cut not even 7 hours before i found it.

I agree, you definitely have more jaws in that picture than I have ever seen in my life! Congrats!! Is that some kind of growth on the fossils?

The teeth have been exposed to different climates underground and is also covered in a limestone dust that gives the rusty look

I sure hope that you have time in the near future to get some closeup shots!

:drool:

Welcome to the forum!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great stuff. I'm doing a presentation for scouts about Illinois Geology and will be showcasing the edestus as we get to the coal layers.

A general question: Does the new teeth on the edestus grow from the back of the mouth or the front?

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Mind giving away a few more? :P These are seriously amazing! I LOVE Paleozoic sharks! :wub:

Stephen

• 1 month later...

I'm curious if you work in the Herrin Coal or another coal formation?

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Back in the early 90's, you would see these at shows. After the mines closed, they only appeared to be rare because you hardly ever saw them again. When did the mines reopen or are they different mines?

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff. I'm doing a presentation for scouts about Illinois Geology and will be showcasing the edestus as we get to the coal layers.

A general question: Does the new teeth on the edestus grow from the back of the mouth or the front?

im guessing they grow from the back pushing the other teeth forward. Im prob wrong but would make since to me if a tooth in the front breaks another would push forward. i have found jaws though where the jaw would have three or four teeth on it but in the middle of the jaw a new tooth would be growng or pushing up in the middle of the jaw