Unknown Tooth

Gatorman

I found this in the Santa Fe River a while back and I'm not sure what it is. It's only half a tooth and I cannot tell what its from. Any ideas? Sorry i don't have a picture of the chewing surface yet my camera is dead for now (until i threaten its very existence again)

post-1-1197415423_thumb.jpg

post-1-1197415431_thumb.jpg

Interesting looking. But, I don't have a clue -----except I don't think we have one in Texas. :)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Guest michael

Hard to tell, because 1) it's a photo, 2) the image size is small, and 3) there is no scale. But it looks like some sort of canid (= dog or wolf or coyote) incisor, at least to me.

--Eric

I'm not certain what this half-tooth is from, Anson. Another camera angle, side-on, might be useful. It does appear to be from a carnivore, but I wouldn't venture a guess as to dog, cat, or other. It is NOT an incisor which is a simple, single-rooted tooth.

--------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I had thought that too at first part of a cat molar maybe a large panther but I do not know for sure. I need to find it again in my mountain of fossils and take a few better pictures of it so Harry can identify it for me :P

• 2 weeks later...

Thats what I thought too its seems to large to be a panther tooth, I found it in the Santa Fe upstream of the 27 bridge.