Opalised Fossils Collection

Paleoworld-101

Hi everyone,

I am putting together an opalised fossils collection for display in the new fossil cabinet i will be getting in a few months and thought I would show you guys what I have managed to obtain so far. I am still in the process of expanding this opal fossil collection so will post pics here of any additional specimens I obtain. My goal is to get a nice assortment of opal fossils ranging from the common stuff (shells, belemnites and wood sections) to the rarer stuff as well (bones, teeth or any other vertebrate material). All of these are about 110-120 million years old. Here is the collection so far:

Opalised Reptile (Dinosaur?) Caudal Vertebra, Lightning Ridge- NSW:

post-5373-0-37764300-1371987086_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-92793700-1371987110_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-34172900-1371987128_thumb.jpg

Opalised Bivalve Shell, Lightning Ridge- NSW:

post-5373-0-40494300-1371987196_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-28858100-1371987234_thumb.jpg

Opalised Belemnite Guards, Coober Pedy- South Australia:

post-5373-0-24098800-1371987493_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

As well as the above fossils, I also got these regular opals to add a bit of colour to the collection (because the opalised fossils I can afford are typically colourless). Can't have an opal-based shelf without colour!

post-5373-0-85161800-1371987782_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-53423700-1371987801_thumb.jpg

post-5373-0-30784600-1371987816_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-79285300-1371987838_thumb.jpg

post-5373-0-02507000-1371987858_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-57567400-1371987880_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

Your chosen category for this collection is real rarefied fossil air; alluring and glamorous!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks guys, I plan on finding more opalised vertebrate stuff like the bone featured in the original post, but I am doubtful I will come across something like that again in my price range.

We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no gemstone more pretty than opal. An opalized fossil is even better! Thanks for sharing your beautiful opal collection.

Gabe

I like crinoids......

Nice! Somehow missed this thread. Neat to see you got more, love those belemnites, and how the shell is open.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I love opalised fossils, like Crinoid1 said opal is beautiful combine that with a fossil and you have something magical.

I read quite a while ago about a fully opalised plesiosaur skeleton from Australia...... Wow.

Good luck Paleoworld-101 on building your collection. Look forward to seeing the results.

A start of an astonishing collection I am sure! Good luck in building it and do share them with us. Seeing your stuff made me decided to buy an Australian opal today lol. Now if only I can get a hold of some nice affordable opalized Plesiosaur bone specimen........

I've been debating whether or not to buy that specimen for the past few weeks but I think I am going to take a chance and buy a metal detector instead or perhaps save my money for a better specimen to come along. The main problem I have with that specimen is that labelling it a 'dinosaur femur' is a bit too specific. A small isolated bone like that could surely have come from anything up to and including turtles, crocs etc. I sent the dealer a message questioning the ID and he said it was just what it was labelled as when he bought it.

A start of an astonishing collection I am sure! Good luck in building it and do share them with us. Seeing your stuff made me decided to buy an Australian opal today lol. Now if only I can get a hold of some nice affordable opalized Plesiosaur bone specimen........

Glad to hear that i've inspired others! Opals are great, combine that with a fossil and you have something that is truly special. Good luck looking for opal bones, you'll have to beat me to em ;)

Good idea on the metal detector, with all those beaches you can detect for lost jewellery and coins, then sell/use them to buy more fossils!

It'll pay for itself.

Edit: I suspect Bondi may be more of a gold mine than an actual gold mine!

Edited by Ash

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Good idea on the metal detector, with all those beaches you can detect for lost jewellery and coins, then sell/use them to buy more fossils!

It'll pay for itself.

Edit: I suspect Bondi may be more of a gold mine than an actual gold mine!

Yep, i've wanted a metal detector for quite some time but never took the initiative to buy one. Something else i wanted to buy always got in the way lol. That should change in the next few days, im keeping a close eye on all the 'Garrett Ace 250' auctions and will make my move on the cheapest one I see. I suppose it is a similar thrill to fossil hunting, not knowing what you might find when the beep sounds. Why haven't they made fossil detectors yet?!?!?

Only thing im not looking forward to is constant questions and being stared at by other people lol that and digging up lots of trash

• 2 years later...

Hi Palaeoworld 101. Just wanted to see how your opal fossil collection is going?

have you gotten any more specimens ?

all the best

Rod

Really nice

I love the Belemnits :wub:

Edited by belemniten

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

• 1 year later...

Nice opal fossil collection , have you added any more? I have only  three pieces in my collection . Opel fossil are not easily come by. Please show more. Thanks Bobby