Prasopora Confirmation

Bev

post-9628-0-75402600-1372107826_thumb.jpg post-9628-0-40349100-1372107867_thumb.jpg

The top, the bottom and I am 99% sure of it.

BUT before I label it, I thought I should make 100% sure of it. :P

I think it is a stunning example, you can even see the pores!

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Looks like Favosites to me. But I don't see any tabulae which might rule out Favosites.

Edited by Al Dente

Since the size of the zooids are important to the bryozoan/coral question, please give us the size of the specimen so we can infer the size of the features. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is Ordovician.

I went through the Favosites sites, I don't think so.

Bryozoa. When I took similar down to MAPS it was prasora (can't spell). I was told that only in the north does prasopora "hump". Looking at the "Big Hashplate" my favorite that was IDed in person, and this--I just plain want to say yes. BUT, "I know nothing."

And that is why I posted it.

AND I did give it a muratic acid bath for like 30 seconds and that is what brought out the pores.

Did that help?

Bev :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

It seems more "corally" to me, because of the net-like pattern of the zooid walls; a bryozoan would show pores, wouldn't it?.

Whatever the pros declare it to be, I think it's very attractive. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Looks like Favosites to me Bev.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Favosites are found in the Ordovician, but I'm leaning toward bryozoa for your specimen. We have a few in our collection that are very similar to yours. Here's an example of one that shows similar pores to yours, I'm not sure if the specimen is a type of Prasopora or not, bryozoa IDing is not one of my things... I only picked it up for the trilobite part.

I'll see if I can get some better comparative photos showing some of our similar bryzoa with favosites from the same formations.

This bryozoa specimen is from the Platteville Formation

post-3840-0-13917400-1372122864_thumb.jpg post-3840-0-55177300-1372122866_thumb.jpg post-3840-0-73008700-1372122870_thumb.jpg

Here is a classic Prasopora from the Cummingsville Formation of the Galena group:

post-3840-0-09913700-1372123061_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caleb

Hmmm...

I have a similar specimen that a guy at MAPS Ided as a praspora... A picture of one from Gary Erickson the science teacher...

Mine would be very similar to yours but without the bumps. AND could the acid have taken the bumps away as there are similar spots... It would have dissoved in the acid. I just dunked for 30 seconds and got the pores to show.

Now I just don't know... Is yours mushroom like on the bottom?

Edited by Bev

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I agree with everyone else that this is more corally looking than Bryozoan. Most Prasopora that I have found are mounded with a flat bottom. Some form a gum drop or hershey kiss like shape too but all will have the larger bump pattern on them and a flat bottom. If you dipped the fossil for 30 seconds I doubt the bumps would have been dissolved away that quick. The individual pores are very small on Bryozoa too.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The second photo I posted was just to show you what a typical Prasopora looked like, it's not the same specimen as you have.

The first one I posted is more similar to what you have in my opinion except for shape which varies widely but is still considered a type of Prasopora.

post-3840-0-25616200-1372163378_thumb.jpg

It is nearly flat on the bottom, looking like the bottom of a mushroom squashed. But I can also see Favosite... Hmmmm

The more I learn the less I know... :)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

The small details tell the story...

Bryozoans have pores:

post-423-0-63710700-1372169700_thumb.jpg

Corals have walled cells:

post-423-0-24962700-1372169737_thumb.jpg

I think your specimen is a very nice coral.