Metoicoceras Or Texanite?

JenRho

I found this near my home in the Texas Hill Country. The area is within the Balcones Escarpment. Oddly enough, it was just laying on top of the ground. All I had to do was pick it up.

I need to get a Texas Fossil Handbook, but all I have at the moment is the National Audubon Society: Field Guide to Fossils. I found two fossil times that may be a match, though they are not exactly the same--Metoicoceras and Texanite. I believe my fossil is an interior mold, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for helping me identify it.

post-12229-0-11749100-1372126216_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-53620600-1372126481_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-02620400-1372126486_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-71743000-1372126490_thumb.jpg

did you compare to mortoniceras? what town was is found nearest? good locality info narrows down possibilities fast as formations have limited aerial outcrop.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Hi. All I have for comparison are photos in the National Audobon Society Handbook, and the photos in the book of the two fossils I mentioned are the closest I could find to compare it to. The town I'm nearest too is San Marcos--Balcones Escarpment.

Thanks!

I am pretty sure it would note be a Metoicoceras given where you found it. They also do not have a keel like your specimen (the pronounced ridge running along the outside of your specimen). Mr. Dan is probably right. It is one of the species found in the Lower Cretaceous sediments of the Texas Hill Country.

Just for comparison here are three shots of three different metiococeras I've collected from the Frontier Formation of central Wyoming.

None are prepped yet other than a quick brushing. Photo 3 does have a clear acrylic coating.

Jim

Old Dead Things

post-1148-0-11116100-1372134216_thumb.jpg post-1148-0-69499800-1372134233_thumb.jpg

post-1148-0-74729300-1372134244_thumb.jpg

Edited by old dead things

i have personally found georgetown formation fossils including mortoniceras ammonites just north of san marcos. this is the southernmost exposure of georgetown limestone i've seen in your area as it pinches out just to the south in the san marcos arch and the re emerges well west of san antonio.

Grüße,

also, i'd guess this specimen wasnt found too far west of i-35. rocks get older fast to the west of the highway, and younger to the east. tons of mortoniceras images available online for comparison as the genus has a strong presence in washita aged strata of texas.

Grüße,

also, i'd guess this specimen wasnt found too far west of i-35. rocks get older fast to the west of the highway, and younger to the east. tons of mortoniceras images available online for comparison as the genus has a strong presence in washita aged strata of texas.

Check and double check.

Jess B.

Hi. It looks like there are a few fossils on this web page that have the same "ridge" on the top as mine does. They're marked "Mortoniceras". http://northtexasfossils.com/ammonites.htm

Tarrant county, where the fossils on the above web site were discovered, is quite a bit north and east of San Marcos/Hays County. I'm a graphic designer, not a paleontologist, but could this be it? :)

washita aged rocks outcrop in an intermittant ribbon along the balcones fault so yours wouldn't be out of line. i've found morts 350 miles north of san antonio out to 450 miles west.

Grüße,