redleaf101

Clifton, New Brunswick (2013)

redleaf101

Taken from blog post http://redleafz.blogspot.ca/2013/06/clifton-new-brunswick-2013.html

During my vacation, I made a day trip to Clifton, in northern New Brunswick. I've been to that location last year and made some interesting finds, including some nice ferns. This trip wasn't as fruitful as I had hoped, but I managed to take photos of the numerous trees in situ (surprised by the number present) and the drive in itself was nice.

1.JPG

Always be mindful of the tides when you venture down these beaches as you could get trapped with not many ways out.

2.JPG

Getting my stuff together

3.JPG

Where most of the trees are found

4.JPG

Tree #1 - Bottom section (walking stick for scale, 1 meter long)

5.JPG

Tree #2 - Tree with roots going through various layers

6.JPG

Close-up of 'Tree #2'

7.JPG

Tree #3

8.JPG

Tree #4 (zoomed in on right)

9.JPG

What would have been 'Tree #5'

10.JPG

One of the very few plants I've come across (sparse this year)

11.JPG

Tree #6 with broken section on the beach

12.JPG

Close-up of 'Tree #6'

13.JPG

Tree segments

14.JPG

Tree #7

14a.JPG

Photo of 'Tree #7' taken the previous year

It ended up to be a great day to be on the beach. The morning was gloomy but by the time I was done, the Sun had come out and I ended up enjoying the walk. I'll probably make this a yearly trek to see how the bay shapes the cliffs of Clifton and what could potentially come out.

15.JPG

Till next time!

- Keenan

Ludwigia

Thanks for the report. Love to take a stroll along that beach someday.

Scylla

Nice beach! Thanks for the report.

redleaf101

Thanks!

rejd

Great report. Love the fern.

Plantguy

Taken from blog post http://redleafz.blogspot.ca/2013/06/clifton-new-brunswick-2013.html

During my vacation, I made a day trip to Clifton, in northern New Brunswick. I've been to that location last year and made some interesting finds, including some nice ferns. This trip wasn't as fruitful as I had hoped, but I managed to take photos of the numerous trees in situ (surprised by the number present) and the drive in itself was nice.

1.JPG

Always be mindful of the tides when you venture down these beaches as you could get trapped with not many ways out.

2.JPG

Getting my stuff together

3.JPG

Where most of the trees are found

Hi Kenaan, great photos of the outcrops up there. I am curious to know if you can tell if all of the trunks are pretty much in the same level or bedding/layer suggesting there was a single swamp floor buried by sedimentation? Or are they perhaps in many different levels suggesting many different swamp/forest floors that had been built up over different periods of time? Thanks for showing us! Regards, Chris

redleaf101

From the trees I found on that trip, they were fount on at least 2 different horizons. South of Stonehaven and heading towards Clifton, the strata becomes almost parallel and runs for kilometers following that angle before changing. There might be another horizon near the top as I spotted tree cast barren of its host trees in some areas.