Microfossil Exchange Program?

silverphoenix

I wanted to start a microfossil exchange a couple years ago, but because of some personal reasons it fell through (bad break-up and a bad injury).

I've been working hard to collect matrix from as many sites as possible so that I will have trade material. I need material from more sites though!

Preferably, I would like to trade matrix from the Stone City Formation, which is one of the richest matrix types there is, for other matrix types. Large flat rate box for large flat rate box.

Once I collect at least a dozen sites, I will be able to trade 8oz packets from multiple sites for matrix from new sites. For instance, if you sent matrix from the Hawthorn FM of Florida, you would receive 8oz packets of matrix from 10-12 different sites.

Please let me know if you would be willing to trade for Stone City FM matrix to help get this jump started--I'm almost there!

I have matrix from:
Lee Creek

Stone City FM

Atco FM

Another Atco FM site

Post Oak Creek

Pennsylvanian matrix from Brownwood, TX

Peace River (need more)

I will trade Raw matrix for Raw matrix or Processed Matrix for Processed matrix (Washed and sifted through 1/4" mesh)

Silverphoenix,

Glad to see your idea is back on track. Kept meaning to ask you about it. Unfortunately, I don't have any more samples to contribute at the moment.

Acryzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Did you send me a sample a while back? I seem to remember you sending something in--let me know what it was.

if you ever want some lee creek matrix, just pm, i gotta bunch. i also have a little from lafarge quarry in harleyville, SC. marine eocene.

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Chase

My problem is that since we are relatively close to each other--both in the Great State of Texas--that the bulk matrix I am able to obtain is largely the same as what you already have. I like the idea of smaller amounts though. A gallon of matrix--ten pounds plus --is often far more than I need.

I will vouch for the Stone City Fm matrix that Silver Phoenix provides. It is amazingly fossiliferous.

Mike

As Mike said, the matrix from the Stone City Formation is amazingly fossiliferous. It is loaded with a very large amount of very high quality gastro's and bivalves. The gastro's are very very nice. It also has a high volume of otoliths and some fish, ray and shark teeth.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Silverphoenix,

I sent some Middle Devonian maybe Silica formation for the bank.

Acryzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Still looking for new types of matrix, I'm up to 8 sites. Once I reach 11, I'll start the exchange program up. Basically, you will send in a large flat rate box of your matrix and in return will receive 12 8oz packages of microfossil matrix from different sites around the country, two being from the Stone City FM since I have access to that site. The more sites I get, the more I can trade. The idea is to get a flat rate box so that matrix can be traded to 45 other people and running a surplus will keep the exchange program going in perpetuity

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I may be able to participate, I'll want to see how my local (Devonian) stone processes. There are a couple of sites I want to see if I can get material from that may be tradable--as in, people would like to receive it! I'll know more in a few weeks.

Does the box I send you have to be all the same matrix, or would batches of material from 3 or 4 different sites in one box be OK? I ask because I don't know how much processed matrix I'll get out of the raw pieces, and a) I would prefer to receive processed material; and B) the sites I'm thinking of are far enough away from my home that I won't get more than 1 trip to pick up material before winter.

I've never done much with microfossils before, and this seems like a fun way to build a collection. :)

• 4 months later...

I have some raw Genesee Fm. (Devonian) limestone I'd be willing to throw into the program. It's either North Evans Limestone or Genundewa Limestone. Either way, it contains lots of conodonts, some shark and fish teeth and scales, echinoid spines, and other interesting shapes I haven't identified yet.

Check out this thread for some examples: My First Conodont

Are you interested in unprocessed limestone?

Archived