Rock Hammer

RickNC

Can I get some recommendations on a decent rock hammer? Doesn't have to be anything really expensive or anything since I'll rarely use it. Going to be taking a trip to NY this summer and want to find something to help me collect. Thanks.

"Rarely Used" won't justify inferior performance when it needs to do the job, especially with striking tools, which can be down-right dangerous!

Besides, the best is not that much more: >LINK<

Choose "Hammers", and scroll to the Estwing E3-22p 22 oz Rock Pick hammer.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've said it before, You cannot go wrong with an Estwing. Have had mine for 18 years.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Estwing all the way.........like the everready bunny they just keep going........

My weapons of choice are an Estwing 24oz brick layer and a 4lb crack hammer. I also lug a 4' 15lb pry bar as well.

mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

"Rarely Used" won't justify inferior performance when it needs to do the job, especially with striking tools, which can be down-right dangerous!

Besides, the best is not that much more: >LINK<

Choose "Hammers", and scroll to the Estwing E3-22p 22 oz Rock Pick hammer.

Yes of course. You know what I mean. Not going to spend $500 on a rock hammer to use it a few times when a $50 hammer can do the job just as well.

Estwing were what I was looking at. Thanks.

The all-around implement is the rubber-grip 22 oz.; pick vs. chisel tip is mostly personal preference, but the chisel-tip makes a better pry-tool and the pick-tip can demolish mudstones and shale more easily. I used to use the pick-tip, with a few cold chisels and a pry bar to round-out the kit.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have to echo the Estwing recommendation. PM me with the dates you'll be up here, there is a possibility that I can come along to lend you a full complement of hard rock tools.

Mine is LEATHER ROCK PICK". I have it since a lot of years, and it is very useful (not leave it in the water because of the leather).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 5 months later...

I finally gave in to the beautiful big blue Estwing Paleo Pick that had called my name with so much determination at Cabella's. I love it for many different uses from digging, to popping out a find, to balancing myself on the quarry wall. Recently while hunting, my 11 year old daughter hauled it down to the creek bed not far from where I was scoping fossils. I turned to see what she was bagging on. She was able to use it to pop out an echinoid with no problems. So, don't let the big size scare you - that's what had caused me to by pass it for so long.

Estwing makes a nice chisel tip hammer for about $35 at Home Depot or Furrows.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

My tools of choice are an Estwing bricklayer hammer from HD, a mini-sledgehammer, a wide-tipped chisel, and a large wood-splitting wedge.

---Prem

• 3 weeks later...

Cantab, I'd been eyeing one of those Paleo Picks as an lighter alternative to my bulky mattock but never have seen one in person. So they are pretty sturdy?

I have a Estwing 220z. chisel tip (masons hammer) and a Vaughn 240z. pick tip hammer. Whatever you choose, make sure it is of solid construction (one piece) with a shock absorbing grip on the handle. You will want a solid body, because those that have separate heads from the handle and tube type handles will likely deform and break after not too much heavy use. You will never go wrong with an Estwing - you will be guaranteed a lifetime of use and the slightly higher price is definitely worth it in the long run.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 4 weeks later...

The big blue Estwing Paleo Pick is very sturdy. I tend to use it when I'm blind prospecting in softer matrix. My daughter uses it to randomly crack open limestone rocks. We have three Estwing Rock Picks - 22lbs as well. I think they are very high quality.

The big blue Estwing Paleo Pick is very sturdy. I tend to use it when I'm blind prospecting in softer matrix. My daughter uses it to randomly crack open limestone rocks. We have three Estwing Rock Picks - 22lbs as well. I think they are very high quality.

22 Lbs?! Now that's a Texas style hammer!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One word of advice: don't leave your expensive brand-spanking-new Estwing hammer behind at a fossil site like I did a month ago...

doh!.gif

just found this hammer thing a ma bob and could see it being useful in many different ways.

post-15006-0-86418900-1397842418_thumb.jpg

post-15006-0-08449100-1397842431_thumb.jpg

watching dirty jobs and they are at a dig in Utah