Crinoid Queen

Hay I am trying to re-plan a second day of a hunting trip because our first choice became state property about a year ago :( I was wondering if any one had any experience at any of these road cuts. I am just wondering how the collecting was at the sites? Quality and frequency typical of fossils found at each locality? If any one knows the layers to look in too for any specific fossil would be awesome :D Thanks for the help!

-CQ

http://www.fallsoftheohio.org/collecting.html

Looking at #'s 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10

Wow, expected the locals to chime in for you.

many moons ago I visited #1 there north of Madison, IN. It was big and productive, including colonial corals in the upper sections. I have also been to the one near Sulphur where I collected a bunch of Pentramites and other echinoderms as well as a few teeth and dermal denticles. Don't know squat about any of the others. But I would say all the Ordovician sites are probably very productive.

Good luck with your trip.

ER

I've also been to the Madison and Sulphur sites. Lots of brachiopods and horn corals and such at the Madison site, but I didn't find any echinoderms or trilobites, although the link said there should be edrioasteroids and starfish there. The Indian Springs Formation at Sulphur is 1/2 way or 2/3 of the way up the outcrop, so don't spend much time looking at the basal layers. When I was there I didn't know where the fossil-bearing horizon was and blew about half the time I had available working my way up the outcrop layer by layer.

Don

I know of some sites we can visit Debbie, I'll shoot you a few on facebook..

Hi Debbie<br /><br />I have been to the Taylorville site (#2). If you are looking for Platystrophia, this is the place. You WILL come home with lots of them. Occasionally you will also find Herbetella but it is much rarer. That is about all you will find at these cuts other than the occasional bryozoan but they are all broken up. This is a series of several cuts going north from Taylorville. Someone once told me that further north on the same road you will get a different variety of brachiopods but closer to Taylorville it all seems to be Platystophia.<br /><br />The Sulphur site is always a good stop for blastoids. Crinoids are much rarer but they are there. Over the years I have found several.<br /><br />crinus

Here's my take on these sites, from personal experience. The types of fossils listed , in many cases , are one of a kinds found or a rarity

#'s 1,2,3,12 are OK

#'s 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 Skip them.

If you want more info PM me and I'll see if I can give you more info.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The Sulphur site is always a good stop for blastoids. Crinoids are much rarer but they are there. Over the years I have found several.<br /><br />crinus

Ya that is mainly what I was interested in when I saw the site :) I would like to find a few blastoids.

Here's my take on these sites, from personal experience. The types of fossils listed , in many cases , are one of a kinds found or a rarity

#'s 1,2,3,12 are OK

#'s 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 Skip them.

If you want more info PM me and I'll see if I can give you more info.

So the Sulphur site is #12?

Ya that is mainly what I was interested in when I saw the site :) I would like to find a few blastoids.

So the Sulphur site is #12?

I seem to remember collecting lots o them on the surface of the first bench on the NW side of the intersection. They were mostly very small but once I found the first couple they came quick. But that was almost a dozen years back so hopefully you will get some more up to date info.

Your link shows Sulphur to be 12. I just don't get the site because although I followed the directions there, I didn't see the huge cuts shown in photos online. Was it just that overgrown by summer? I saw the commuter parking lots so it must be Sulphur. So, please take a photo for me!

Good luck

Here's the Sulfur site info. The gray clayey shale has the loose blastoids, the limestone has lots of embedded critters, even the occasional sharks tooth. The shale about 2/3 of the way up (right pix) is productive.

post-2520-0-05721200-1373230662_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-94787300-1373230699_thumb.jpg

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a plate from the Sulphur cut that I just finished prepping. I put it on my web site yesterday. I love the Sulphur cut but not at this time of the year. It is probably loaded with ticks now,

http://www.crinus.info/crinoids/data/pter4.htm

crinus

very nice crinoid!

Also black widows and the rare copperhead. Makes for more exciting collecting. :D

Here is a plate from the Sulphur cut that I just finished prepping. I put it on my web site yesterday. I love the Sulphur cut but not at this time of the year. It is probably loaded with ticks now,

http://www.crinus.info/crinoids/data/pter4.htm

crinus

No kidding! The ticks were literally crawling all over the rocks. So much for staying out of high grass or brush. It was really hot that day and at first I thought I was hallucinating and the little rocks were moving about. One of the club members had one attach to her and she totally bugged out! This was a NYPS field trip and this woman was a city dweller who had heard every horror story about Lyme disease. She had removed it properly within a few hours and we didn't have the heart to tell her that Rocky Mountain Sotted Fever was more likely...

No kidding! The ticks were literally crawling all over the rocks. So much for staying out of high grass or brush. It was really hot that day and at first I thought I was hallucinating and the little rocks were moving about. One of the club members had one attach to her and she totally bugged out! This was a NYPS field trip and this woman was a city dweller who had heard every horror story about Lyme disease. She had removed it properly within a few hours and we didn't have the heart to tell her that Rocky Mountain Sotted Fever was more likely...

On my last collecting trip to the area, I did get a tick bite. About a week later I had red circles appear on my body - NOT where the tick bit me. I went to the doctor and was surprised to find out that the circles for Lyme disease do not necessarily appear at the bite spot. I was treated for Lyme disease without further testing. Treatment in the early stage is cheaper than testing and 100% curable. Its bad when you wait for treatment. We can only assume that I got Lyme disease since I was never tested for it. Now. I only go to Sulfur in late fall and spring. No more summers for me at Sulphur or anywhere in southern Indiana for that matter.

crinus

Archived