Collecting Gear For Sharks Teeth

cgwife

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could bring to put sharks teeth in when I find them. I read somewhere a guy in Myrtle Beach made a contraption out of a Mayonaisse Container and somehow put a string on it to wear around his neck. Was just wonder what some other ideas may be? I have only been twice (not coundting when I was kid) and my 3 kids were with me. I had small tupperware containers with each of our names on them to put our teeth in. But thought there may be a better/more convientent tip some of you may have B)

For 'beach combing' the teeth, I always wore a nail apron (modified with a velcro closure).

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I just have a ziplock bag. I have friends that use little plastic containers that are around their neck but that would just annoy me when I bent over to use the sifter.

• I found this Informative 1

When I crawl around surface hunting I use a bouillon cube container with a piece of cord through it around my neck. When I am sifting I usually just use zip lock bags. I have used a nail apron at times also and a fly fishing vest.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I always bring some aluminum foil with me if I find a really nice or fragile specimen and small plastic container to place them in.

• 2 months later...

Cargo pants or shorts, depending on the environment or your preference- have many containers in the form of pockets. Flaps with velcro, too...

Edited by harpin

• 9 months later...

I always use a nail bag whenever I'm out hunting. It's hands free and not in your way! :D

This is the bare minimum I take with me, all in a backpack. The white and orange Advil bottle works well for me, It is brightly colored should I set it down and has a fast twist thread on the cap for easy access. The waterproof box with pillow batting works great for those more fragile fossils. It is a waterproof box sold in the camping section of Walmart for under $10. The toilet paper is multi purpose and can be used to wrap fossils. Of course this time of year you will want way more than 1 bottle of water.

post-281-0-44222800-1404691643_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

That's a lot like what is in my backpack. The waterproof container I have is an old first aid kit which can double as extra storage. Yes, a roll of toilet paper is a must-have.

I also have a few little plastic film containers with cotton balls inside and zip-locks of different sizes plus a multi-tool. I would keep a few sheets of paper towel as well in case I found a megalodon (which has hardly ever happened).

Friends in Florida always used those nail aprons when they hunted the phosphate mines or beach-collected.

This is the bare minimum I take with me, all in a backpack. The white and orange Advil bottle works well for me, It is brightly colored should I set it down and has a fast twist thread on the cap for easy access. The waterproof box with pillow batting works great for those more fragile fossils. It is a waterproof box sold in the camping section of Walmart for under $10. The toilet paper is multi purpose and can be used to wrap fossils. Of course this time of year you will want way more than 1 bottle of water.

attachicon.gifmsg-281-0-11210100-1398008702.jpg

Hobby Lobby sells all sizes of small plastic zip close bags and they are pretty cheap. I bought groups of about 4 sizes and they didn't cost much.

Don

That's identical to the one I carry with me. It mainly serves as a small kit to carry so I can leave the toolbox when I don't need it. I've also resorted to using the sterile urine sample bottles from hospitals. I only get ones that haven't been used yet. They are great because there is already a label on it to write on.

I would say just about anything that will be convenient for you to stash away the goodies as you continue to search, making sure they can not fall out of what ever containment you have when you bend over. I use a large mouth pill bottle in an upper pocket and when it starts to get full I transfer them to a larger Tupperware type container that is lined with a cushion of paper towels.

That's funny. I also use urine sample bottles, unused of course. Has bright yellow lid that is easy to find if I set it down. Mostly though, ziplock bags and then I transfer them to the sample jar with water to shake them clean.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-in-Belt-Pouch-GP-45830N13/204853191 I like this husky pouch, has a belt loop so it won't fall off and a zippered pouch. I like the zippered pouch because i am clumsy and fall at times, and do not want to lose my finds..

Thanks! I saw your link and went ahead and bought that husky pouch, and then used it on a fossil hunting trip last week, it was perfect! exactly what I needed! Thanks for the tip :)

• 10 months later...

After having a ziplock bag fall silently out of my sweatshirt pocket once, I swore off of them. I use a combination of things.

1) an amber prescription bottle. They float.

2) a "Talenti Gelato" container. Naturally, I empty it the old fashioned way and wash it out. A duct tape handle and a carabiner keep it secured to me.

3) My cheeks. I'll pop smaller shark's teeth between my cheek and gums to keep from fiddling with container lids. I look like a chipmunk on a good beach day. :)

Do not blame God for having created the Tiger, but thank Him for not having given it wings. ~ Indian proverb

Photos of Art, Pets, Fossils, Tattoos and General Mischief

• 4 years later...

I put them in my cheek as well. I'm a pro with sunflower seeds so I should swallow any, lol. All joking aside it is a secure way to keep them.

• 7 months later...

I am a former scuba diver. I use collection bags I purchased at scuba stores. They can be purchased online also. I added a clip. I clip them to my waistline or just keep them handy.

My favorite. Yellow nylon mesh with velcro closure
100_0119_zpsd2ad35e9.jpg.ffc5e7e3cf6ebc8831a04cbd052811b8.jpg

Rugged green fabric. I added elastic tubing for ease of opening and automatic closing. I added a clip for clipping to waistline

100_0697-1.jpg.d08c7b7325545e19f12e447271335ad3.jpg

Fanny pack here... works well.

I really like the idea of using tin foil and TP to protect fragile fossils!  I will copy it.