Fossils In The Middle Of Town

Aussiefossil

Went for a drive to a little town called Mannum in South Australia today. One of the main streets is cut through the river cliffs. Thought you would find the pictures interesting.

Most of the fossils are above the 2mtr mark but there are thousands visible on the cliff face. Most of them are a few types of echinoids, brachiopods and oysters in coral.

post-3930-0-50837700-1372589256_thumb.jpgpost-3930-0-48056200-1372589278_thumb.jpgpost-3930-0-38453600-1372589300_thumb.jpgpost-3930-0-33418000-1372589324_thumb.jpgpost-3930-0-49629400-1372589363_thumb.jpg

That looks like a pretty neat little location, did you pick out any gems to take with you?

Really interesting strata; looks like it weathers fairly readily?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

grabbed a few, but I already have plenty. I would love to look along up higher with an extension ladder, as there are some nice Echinoid Monostychia Australis, just hanging there.. but two dangerous.

If you wish to see location - Go to 62 river lane on Google maps and zoom until you hit street view.

Can be seen why I say in the middle of the town.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=62+River+Road,+Mannum,+South+Australia&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x6ab779314b9aebd1:0x802cd40053c8f139,62+River+Ln,+Mannum+SA+5238&gl=au&ei=yTnQUbHpIfGPiAeBoYGYBQ&ved=0CCwQ8gEwAA

Looks like a mother lode of a spot... I'd get the ladder!

I might have missed it, but do you know what age this is?

Wow, the burrowing critters really went to town in the sediment.

Context is critical.

The cliffs weather quite easily and are unstable in quite a few areas, making it extremely dangerous to even pick at the cliff.

Sections along the river are up to 90mtrs high and chunks the size of trucks break off into the river.

But areas that you can walk along the bottom of, you would be unlucky not to find a few echinoid lovenia forbesi at least.

Age is miocene