Portable Grabbers

BOBCAT

If you are like me who is semi-disabled and can not bend down I suggest you get one of these or others like it to make collecting fossils more enjoyable and less painful this device has greatly improved my ability to find fossils . I hope this suggestion helps other who are in the same boat as I am

post-12367-0-21289600-1372943968_thumb.jpg

A very innovative tool adaptation.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

• 2 weeks later...

post-7463-0-27669800-1373926074_thumb.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Scoop-Gem-Long-Handled/dp/B0043H4GLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373926000&sr=8-2&keywords=gem+scoop

I like this option. It's not quite as easy to scoop a fossil as it is to grab one, but this also serves as a very sturdy and light-weight hiking staff. The spiked point is invaluable in stream beds. Less than two months after a spinal fusion I made it back into the field again using my Gem Scoop. This used to be manufactured by Estwing, but they sold the patent some years back. I'm only 5' 7" tall, and originally bought the 36" version. A bit short even for me. I now use the 42" model pictured. More of a staff and less of a cane. The handle wasn't conducive to using it as a cane. And just like the grabber, you can use it to fling snakes away from you and towards you partner. B)

In all honesty I think this would come in handy for most people. It seems like every time I sit down I spot something just outside of my reach. Then you get up grab it and sit back again. This could save me some time.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, Mike. I don't think this or Bob's grabbers would be good for picking up my delicate shale fossils but I could see this thing being good for pulling apart the shale chunks to find them - Maybe later when I'm even more crocked that I can't bend down as easily.. so far the hammer/chisel/crowbar work ok.

Edited by Wrangellian

• 4 weeks later...

attachicon.gif21fF66anWsL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Scoop-Gem-Long-Handled/dp/B0043H4GLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373926000&sr=8-2&keywords=gem+scoop

I like this option. It's not quite as easy to scoop a fossil as it is to grab one, but this also serves as a very sturdy and light-weight hiking staff. The spiked point is invaluable in stream beds. Less than two months after a spinal fusion I made it back into the field again using my Gem Scoop. This used to be manufactured by Estwing, but they sold the patent some years back. I'm only 5' 7" tall, and originally bought the 36" version. A bit short even for me. I now use the 42" model pictured. More of a staff and less of a cane. The handle wasn't conducive to using it as a cane. And just like the grabber, you can use it to fling snakes away from you and towards you partner. B)

I've seen people hunting Mazon Creek nodules use these. :)

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.