Liaoxiornis Delicates

Auspex

This one is kind of a dream come true for me. I've laughed-off dozens of fakes, and passed on half a dozen real ones with dubious permit documentation, but I finally got a Yixian Formation bird. Not just another Confuciusornis either, but Liaoxiornis delicates. It is the smallest known Mesozoic bird; recent radiometric dating places the deposit in the Barremian to early Aptian (early Cretaceous, 125-121 mya).

I have both the slab and counter-slab. The bird is complete, but partially disarticulated, and bears carbonized feather remains (the counterpart slab shows them best). The good news is that it is unprepped, unrepaired, and unrestored: every bone is original. The bad news is that it has not even been stabilized and is incredibly fragile (volcanic ash, you know). I tried to wait on posting it until I could get it prepped it out and make it pretty, but I just couldn't stand it! (I should have waited; the slabs are so unstable that just taking these three pics had a high pucker factor :o ).

post-423-1228016417_thumb.jpg

post-423-1228016437_thumb.jpg

post-423-1228016448_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas

Awesome Auspex! Now get to stabilizing! Don't put it off do it asap, I don't want anything to happen to it such fossils are to come by(by legal means) I can only imagine how much work went into finding it let alone getting the proper documentation.

This one is kind of a dream come true for me. I've laughed-off dozens of fakes, and passed on half a dozen real ones with dubious permit documentation, but I finally got a Yixian Formation bird. Not just another Confuciusornis either, but Liaoxiornis delicates. It is the smallest known Mesozoic bird; recent radiometric dating places the deposit in the Barremian to early Aptian (early Cretaceous, 125-121 mya).

I have both the slab and counter-slab. The bird is complete, but partially disarticulated, and bears carbonized feather remains (the counterpart slab shows them best). The good news is that it is unprepped, unrepaired, and unrestored: every bone is original. The bad news is that it has not even been stabilized and is incredibly fragile (volcanic ash, you know). I tried to wait on posting it until I could get it prepped it out and make it pretty, but I just couldn't stand it! (I should have waited; the slabs are so unstable that just taking these three pics had a high pucker factor :o ).

Heeeee Auspex I 'm also a studend in paleotology bird ,I see claws ,Is this bird able to climb on the tree ? the claws are on the wings or feet ....

bruno

post-967-1228031372_thumb.jpg

"It's real, it's legal, " congratulations, enjoy it :)

Heeeee Auspex I 'm also a studend in paleotology bird ,I see claws ,Is this bird able to climb on the tree ? the claws are on the wings or feet ....

bruno

Liaoxiornis was an Enantiornith, somewhat more advanced than Confusiusornis, but retaining hand claws, teeth, and a fairly simple sternum. The photo is of one of the feet; note that the claw-sheaths are preserved! :D

It was definitely able to perch, but would not have been adept at climbing vertical surfaces (as a woodpecker).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I've laughed-off dozens of fakes, and passed on half a dozen real ones with dubious permit documentation, but I finally got a Yixian Formation bird.

Great, now even fossilized birds are made in China!

Congrats on obtaining such a rare and interesting piece! Now go prep it!

Guest Nicholas
Liaoxiornis was an Enantiornith, somewhat more advanced than Confusiusornis, but retaining hand claws, teeth, and a fairly simple sternum. The photo is of one of the feet; note that the claw-sheaths are preserved! :D

It was definitely able to perch, but would not have been adept at climbing vertical surfaces (as a woodpecker).

Claws and teeth would make it an "ancestral bird" as my texts and my paper(:P) put it.

It really is a great piece.

Claws and teeth would make it an "ancestral bird" as my texts and my paper(:P) put it.

Not ancestral to anything living, though. The Enantiornithines did not make it through the K-T extinction, only the Neorthines left living descendents. At most, the two lineages diverged from a common ancestor. I am trying to build a case for a separate, convergent evolution of the two.

Guest Nicholas
Not ancestral to anything living, though. The Enantiornithines did not make it through the K-T extinction, only the Neorthines left living descendents. At most, the two lineages diverged from a common ancestor. I am trying to build a case for a separate, convergent evolution of the two.

Impressive, I've used a lot of ancestral/dino-bird evidence in my paper. Very interesting stuff.

there is a french proverb who says : " when the hens will have teeth ...." I 'm learning something today, it not only a proverb it's reality !!!! :P:P:P;);)

Auspex, im staring at my computer screen in amazement! im very envious of your aquired fossils, beautifully preserved for something so old, fragile, rare and small... CONGRATULATIONS! that will definantly be another focal point to your astonishing avian paleo collection!

Can i ask how you are going to stabalise it?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Guest Nicholas
there is a french proverb who says : " when the hens will have teeth ...." I 'm learning something today, it not only a proverb it's reality !!!! :P:P:P;);)

There are selective genes in hens which can trigger teeth, you can manipulate more tail vertebrae and scales to a degree as well. It is a very interesting concept.

A link on the subject manner. :)

Can i ask how you are going to stabalise it?

The plan is to use a penetrating type that is not antagonistic to whatever glue was used to piece the slabs together. Testing for which solvent base should be easy and risk-free on the back of the thicker slab. My thinking after that is to permeate the backs first and embed both in plaster (of Paris?), then gently clean up the bones on the front (art-gum eraser) while staying away from the carbonized feathers. After that, I can seal the fronts and frame it.

The plan is to use a penetrating type that is not antagonistic to whatever glue was used to piece the slabs together. Testing for which solvent base should be easy and risk-free on the back of the thicker slab. My thinking after that is to permeate the backs first and embed both in plaster (of Paris?), then gently clean up the bones on the front (art-gum eraser) while staying away from the carbonized feathers. After that, I can seal the fronts and frame it.

Sounds like youve got it all sorted! i can wait to see it completley done, although im glad you showed us some pictures now, i like to see them 'in the raw'.

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Here are some more "hen's teeth": the second is a replica of a reconstruction of an Archaeopteryx skull, the first are from Avisaurus, a bird of the late Cretaceous (they are from Hell Creek, Montana, and are real). :D

post-423-1228084736_thumb.jpg

post-423-1228084765_thumb.jpg

bird teeth. <== i typed that and just sat here for five minutes looking at it. there's really nothing else to say.

There's a saying in Britain that something is "as rare as hen's teeth"... you really wonder how much our ancestors knew that we think of as being recent discoveries.

...it also makes me think that perhaps there's a very, very rare occurrence of genetic throwbacks in birds, resulting in hens with teeth!

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Hey Auspex, great fossil you have there, you must be really excited! I have never used plaster of paris so I'm no expert, but isn't it quite fragile over time itself? I have seen things made from it and they are always cracked. Maybe consider some type of epoxy or something for a backing!?!

There are selective genes in hens which can trigger teeth, you can manipulate more tail vertebrae and scales to a degree as well. It is a very interesting concept.

A link on the subject manner. :)

I saw a show, on the discovery channel where they examined chicken embryos and found that they have extra vertebrae before the hatch which are absorbed and (If I remember right) some kind of proto teeth. They were using these findings to help make their link that birds are dinosaurs.